My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Diet And Cancer...

Well of course you'll do all that you can to try and save your loved one's.

Mum has never had what I would call a bad diet. She rarely drinks alcohol, she never smoked. She eats very little red meat. We always ate a varied diet of fruit and vegetables. I would not say she is a big sweet eater either. Nor soft drinks.

But naturally, this cancer Mum finds herself with has made me more aware of Mum's diet so I am seeing that she is drinking Complan with whole organic milk to build her up and she likes them so much she asks for them instead of tea. They are full of vitamins and minerals and can act as a complete meal and give nutrition.

Mum likes Special K with banana and strawberries. I have purchased some blueberries and decided if Mum is unable to eat these as normal I can put them in a smoothie machine. She like soups, most vegetables. Tomatoes and tomato juice(But I have bought some supplements that have that ingredient that they say is good in tomatoes and its the same as eating 6 large tomatoes)Garlic and so on...So I am just upping how much of these and other foods I can get into Mum's system in the hope it may halt, reverse or slow down the effect.

There is a book available written by someone who had cancer and held it at bay and managed another 20 years of life by eating certain foods. Everything to gain and nothing to lose.

Someone suggested My Mum would not live to 105, I'm not expecting that but if it improves her well being/quality of life, it has to be worth it!

5 Comments:

Anonymous VQ said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Your mum is SO lucky to have you.
You could write a book on this subject.

10 November 2011 at 11:33  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thank You VQ,
Not here or our other forum but I have been attacked for trying to improve Mum's diet. I was a little surprised at the reaction.

Ok I have always seen she eats the right foods so its a pity Mum has been hit by this but everyone could say that.

All I am doing is trying to see she that continues to have what she has always had but possibly increase some foods more.

It means she has lovely meals and to me that also increases her quality of life. I'm not sure why that means I am being criticised.

I cannot see any harm increasing fruit like strawberries, blueberrie, blackberries, raspberries or vegetables like broccali, cauliflower, kurly kale, cabbage, peas and so on.

Really its not a special diet as such. Mainly using commonsense and trying to avoid cheaper processed food.

And lots of what I do is home made...good wholesome comfort food. Its not all going to be "serious" Mum will still be allowed a treat like some chocolate or some thing like apple pie and custard.

If it prolongs, reverses, improves her life we have gained something.

10 November 2011 at 12:30  
Anonymous VQ said...

You have hit the nail on the head. It's common sense.... and you seem to have plenty of it.
I absolutely agree with you - variety, after all, is the spice of life and if mum enjoys what you give her, it can only do her good.
Gildy, some people are just plain nasty and we should ignore them.

You have all the right instincts and should follow them. Good for you!!

10 November 2011 at 14:03  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

VQ,
I have people saying to me Mum's had a long life, she is fortunate that it is a slow cancer that may not actually cut her life short and look at all the other people who die young or leave families behind...none of it is fair but you try to do the best for your loved ones whatever their age.

And we still have no idea whether it will cut Mum's life short or give her problems. Consultant's can only use their knowledge gained over the years that they practice. Everyone is an individual.

The comment about living to 105 was not made by me nor was I suggesting Mum could/would live to 105 my reference was regarding the author of the book managing another 20 years that he might not have.

So in mum's case a couple of years may be more than she might've had.

But you'd think I had said that by the criticism I received.

Sometimes, I don't think its worth responding or biting(though obviously I sometimes make the make mistake of doing so)

I think you are right that it easier to ignore and not engage.

10 November 2011 at 14:29  
Anonymous VQ said...

Gildy, you know, in your own head, that you are doing the very best you can for your mum.
NOBODY can do better than that. x

10 November 2011 at 15:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home