My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, May 07, 2011

Our Turn To Fight...

against proposals for a wind farm to be situated approx 1 mile from my town.

It is said that it will be the largest in the England(45 turbines)and each will be three times the height of the iconic statue near Gateshead known as the Angel of the North...That stands at 66 feet tall approx, these turbines will be nearly 200 feet in height..

I'm sure that other wind farms have as many turbines so I have to assume the height of them is the problem.

I'm not totally against renewable energy and perhaps it could work but we have a problem in the UK, yes we do have windy areas probably because we are an island but because we are an island and space is precious it is difficult to find suitable locations that satisfy those looking for a suitable location to catch wind but equally so they don't blight the landscape ad are too close to where people live.

Its not just how they look but the noise that is said to accompany them.

Its early days and there is little if any information available but it appears from some reports that this is being driven by our present Government and in particular our Prime Minister.

It's early days so there is little more to report but our local MP is on the case...

4 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

As you say...there's the site, the sight, the money, the noise...AND hardly any power!

7 May 2011 at 18:29  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I can object on the grounds of little if any power is generated and the beauty of the area being spoilt but it doesn't leave much else to say against this being built. It makes it sound as though it is a case of "Not in my back yard!"

Years ago I was in Newquay, Cornwall(it could be as long as 25 years ago)and there was a wind farm but it was not on view as these will be and it did not spoil the resort and it was so far away hidden away in the hills you really had to look for the site.

In fact they looked like toy windmills but at 200 feet tall and 45 of them, these really will stand out.

7 May 2011 at 18:45  
Blogger Span Ows said...

This may seem odd Gildy but I quite LIKE the sight of them. I relaise I don't have 10 behind my house but when I pass then either on their own or in groups/lines (seen in various countries) for some reason it doesn't stand out a as blot on the landscape...not sure why because they certainly ARE!!!

8 May 2011 at 11:47  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Perhaps it comes down to how many there are, where and how tall.

Also, as you say when you are passing them by and you know that you can leave them behind, it makes a difference too.

Another letter that I cannot verify whether what it says is true appeared in the local free sheet. It says that all turbines have a limited life of approx 25 years and they need decommissioning(and I assume they then have to be built again)also that the energy is to be sent South so we have the eyesore but not really the benefit.

I don't know myself...I guess in time more reliable infomation will come to light.

21 May 2011 at 02:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home