My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

What Do I Know?

You cannot know all the performers and music that is out there and apart from a few that you perhaps make a point of following others get away from you.

So I purchased a CD(It's been promoted on tv)and it also has a DVD with a full length concert from The Royal Albert Hall in London and with a selection of popular classical music and a few surprises too. I thoroughly enjoyed it...well both myself and Mum did.

But here's the thing, this performer is obviously well known around the world and this venue is packed to the rafters by an appreciative audience of all ages who obviously know him. He has style, personality and is engaging.

Who? André Rieu. Mum reckoned he could be around 45-50 years of age, we could not guess where he was from.

Thanks to the internet I now know that he is 62 later in the year and is from the Netherlands and he has been performing for many years.

And we just discover him. If classical music seems staid and possible of losing it's appeal someone like Rieu is exactly the kind of person to re-introduce such music again.

It's said that various countries have broadcast performances and concerts by him including here but I have to say that somehow I have missed any programme on TV or Radio but from past experience many tv statons will play pop or chart music at the drop of a hat but a lot of music is neglected and ignored even though some performers have a very big following across the globe. So thank heavens for DVD's and CD's...

Update Susan Ham has informed me that André is a year younger than I have him...I've aged him prematurely. Thanks Susan.

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan Ham said...

You have been misinformed. Andre will only be 61 in October 2010.He was born i.10.1949.

25 February 2010 at 06:13  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks Susan...

Blame my arithmatic ;-)

I was trying to compare my birthdate with his...

I can see myself buying more his CD's/DVD's...

25 February 2010 at 11:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home