My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, January 02, 2010

Worried!

I'm staying remarkably cheerful(but I'd be lying if I did not say that I am worried)
This possibly should remain private but I am honest if nothing else.

I had almost resigned myself to going to have my hernia fixed and I had/have no reason to think it is anything but a hernia but...

For no particular reason and almost by accident I have discovered a lump in my right breast under the nipple that is hard and painless and about the size of a 10p piece. I have no idea how long it has been there. After all I had no reason to look or examine myself and breast cancer in men is rare.

I've had no discharge, no skin dimpling, no redness, no scaling of the skin, breast or nipple and no inverted nipple so there are more good signs than bad, right? A quick scout around the web(and I know you have to be careful where you read...)it suggests again more positive signs than bad, possible alternatives are cysts, fibroadenoma, gynecomastia and only finally cancer.

Roughly...42,000 cases annually for Women...300 cases for Men annually and usually you have to have a family history but of course whilst there is not a history in mine...I am on very strong drugs for my kidney problems though they have been reduced dosage wise as hopefully my kidney condition improves. But we are talking years.

Unfortunately, a possible side effect of these powerful drugs can be damage of certain parts of the body(that's why they try to reduce or get you off them as soon as they have done the job)

These drugs are given to people after they have transplants or to try and stop the need of transplants in the first place but long term use can result in...Cancer so you know what I am thinking.

I also discover today that Azathioprine if you take more than 5mg a day increases this risk...I am on 100mg daily. Also, if used with certain other drugs this can increase the possibility...steroids(Prednisolone)being an example...which I take.

So when I see my own Dr next week this is going to take priority whether I like what I hear or what may happen in the future.

Is there any difference between private care or National Health? Not according to someone who works in both. How do I feel? Reasonably calm but ask me that as I get near to being tested and should I receive bad news. I feel as though I am talking about someone else for now.

There are more positives than negatives but as the time to see my Dr gets closer some aprehension is setting in.

Makes my hernia and computer problems pale into insignificance. Oh yes, you didn't know...my main computer has packed up and awaits repair.

I nearly did not post this as you can appreciate. What a way to start the New Year.

Male Breast Examination

Benign Breast Lumps

Breast Cancer In Men

Gynecomastia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home