My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Bonus Tracks...

You'll have noticed a pattern in my music choices lately, that I am into lush orchestral or big band arrangements by the artists I have been acquiring so when I came across Harry Connick Jr singing a song on the UK version of Strictly Come Dancing the other night, I thought for a Hollywood actor/vocalist to travel all the way to the UK to sing one song it was a fair bet he was probably doing so because he had a new album out.

I searched the internet and found that was the case...I listened to some online excerpts and decided the album was worth having so I have ordered it and await it to drop on the doormat.

Some further research also shows that is some countries his new album has extra bonus tracks...the European version comes out with 15 tracks I believe which is reasonable value(I like the idea of more music for the money I spend)but then when I see that in Japan they have additional tracks not on the version I will be buying...It is does anger me some what.

But I certainly(unless they are available as downloads)have no intention of buying another copy just to get those extra songs. I could also understand some fans or music buyers if they decided to obtain those tracks dishonestly.

Harry Connick Jr is not the only artist to offer extra material in different markets, it seems to be a practice that is normal in the music business these days.

4 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

let me know if you want it from here...but obviously it isn't the artist that lays down the rules for different versions.

If you'd posted this a couple of months ago I wouldn't have had a clue who you meant (despite him being touted as the new sinatra) except that on the plane (Atlanta to Quito...ok,OK!) I saw a film "New in Town" with rene zellewelleweggy and your man Harry Jr. It was a bit of a feel-good US "romantic comedy" but...more importantly...it was 'meant' to be set in New Ulm (in part it was)...where I have several cousins!...(that made it funnier for future piss-takes)!)

28 October 2009 at 21:58  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks Span...Well, the CD arrived today and it is a high quality produced album. I haven't heard all his musical output and some I admit I dislike, I prefer him when he sticks to what are called the standards.

Filmwise many years ago I saw Harry in "Memphis Belle" set in WWII and he was an American soldier or pilot. I think that could be the only film I know of his.

The bonus track is a duet with Carla Bruni!

For the first time in ages I played cd's this afternoon and most were by artists that have been around in the business for ages...equally many of them even if younger were singing material much older than themselves.

Others may be old age wise but they can still deliver.

But these artists have found a way to appeal to both older music buyers in the population(but also new ones too)

You could say that few of these artists write their own stuff or are ground breaking but they are doing something right.

Michael Bublé
Cliff Richard and the Shadows(the new album celebrating their 50th Anniversary in the business)
Natalie Cole(Nat's daughter)who has gone back to the kind of songs Nat sung.
Barbra Streisend
Harry Connick Jr

And in doing so I found music that appealed to Mum and myself...so crossing a generation.

29 October 2009 at 20:24  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Natalie Cole is the only one of that lot I would "happily" listen to...the rest under duress. :-)

29 October 2009 at 20:43  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Span :-)

29 October 2009 at 21:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home