My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, June 15, 2009

Meat Free Mondays...

We've heard this before but it does come around quite regularly. It is said that there isn't enough meat to go round to feed the world's population...various reasons are given including that the population is too large, the Earth's resources cannot sustain so many animals and intensive farming and now they talk of animals like pigs, sheep and cows producing too much methane gas which adds to the carbon footprint which in turn will cause and/contribute to climate change/global warming.

Allowing for the fact that when talking about food, it's all well and good coming from the direction that we should eat a well balanced diet of high quality food that offers variety and all the vitamins and minerals required to maintain a healthy body and that should mean a diet of fish, meat, fruit and vegetables we have to realise that some people in the world cannot afford or have the option of an easy and inexpensive supply of food. That if you educate or tell people what they should be eating some "Do not want to!"

We also have to accept that even if you can and do eat all that is good for you, life would be boring and we all need to have a little luxury item amongst the good stuff! If you eat a varied diet you may feel good emotionally and will hopefully avoid ill health but even those who try to do everything that they should cand and still do become ill or develope conditions that these super foods are supposed to stop us becoming ill.

So Paul McCartney, Richard Branson and other UK celebrities have come up with the idea that once a week "We" should consider not eating meat. I don't eat a lot of meat and have a variety of food each day but you know what...if I have meat in the cupboard or in the fridge/freezer or I have opened a package and not eaten it all and so have kept some back to use another day, it could mean that possibly I could eat a little meat each day.

And if I say one day I won't bother, all that happens is that possibly the meat I already have will be thrown away now, isn't that as bad wasting the food you've already purchased? And it means that you have not actually purchased less. Now I it would make more sense if they said eat smaller portions as if you are prone to health problems or wish to avoid the possibility you should not overload the system with large amounts of red meat as too much protein can damage certain organs such as the Kidneys.

If what I hear in the news is correct, we have more of a problem with reducing fish stocks in the seas around the world and it would make more sense reducing how much fish is caught or wasted for various reasons.

There are I have to say some lovely recipes that can be made that contain no meat. A quick look around the Internet or a look in many cookbooks will prove that.

Meat Free Monday

Now anything I write about health and diet has to counteracted by saying that personal choice and individuals have to weigh up what is good advice or poor advice.

Now in recent days I have heard a series of programmes on BBC radio asking if diet has any effect on whether we can avoid or reverse the likelihood of having cancer. In particular the one featured was Prostate Cancer and it is said that one man dies of it every hour.

The man who was featured changed his diet and it appears that in doing so the condition/disease reversed or reduced and so it is possible that diet and vitamins can and do make a difference so what has anyone to lose? It's early days and I cannot say that in following such a diet it will work.

I looked at a site that deals with diet and Prostate Cancer and what this site suggests is good for anyone to follow if they can afford to. Even if you are fit. In reality there is nothing much that means you have to change your diet and there is a variety of foods to avoid you becoming bored.

When I look at the article I can only say that I seem to be eating most of the foods that they suggest without thinking about it...

I think that it is worth clicking on the link.

Prostate Cancer

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Except for a bit of tuna with my salad I've had a meat-free Friday so far.

Some good tables in that link (I'm smack in the middle of "fat" in the weight graph.

Word verification ladsp (lads pee!)

19 June 2009 at 19:42  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I'm on the borderline of being overweight/fat but drugs and mobility make it difficult to exercise but I do eat all the right foods and cannot say that I over eat.

I don't put weight on and stay reasonably consistant.

Foodwise regarding vegetables, fruit and vitamins like you I think we are doing all that we can and if the unfortuate happens we haven't done much to cause it.

In many cases what will be, will be...

20 June 2009 at 00:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home