My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, April 13, 2009

The People's Chart...

BBC Radio 2 are spending best part of the Easter Monday afternoon featuring a chart of the most played songs/tunes of the last 75 years under the pretext that it is not just airplay on a radio station but what you may hear at a public event, perhaps whilst in an elevator, walking around the supermarket whilst buying your shopping and so on. It's all been worked out by compiling information from an organisation that collects royalty payments on behalf of performers etc...

Like all such charts that depend on statistics this one is flawed more than most.

Because it does not allow for the fact that some music will appear because it is has been around longer than music that is younger so naturally it will have an advantage being played or heard more but equally a lot of today's music will be played more possibly because tastes change and/or as there are many new ways to hear music instantly in any situation and more people can access it by choice or they have it forced on them that will increase how often something is played. Also, many radio stations as an example have such restricted formats they virtually make some music off limits and unknown. So they could be said to be influencing the population's opinion and taste. And I bet if the information took in more than just the UK the results would be as different again.

They keep saying how we will be surprised at what is included in the chart and yet so far nothing has really surprised me regarding what has been included or omitted. I'm not much of a lover of the format the programme has taken as I prefer to hear a song in it's entirety but it has been mainly a programme of little bits lasting in many cases a few seconds.

I'll hopefully put up the list of what was in the chart as a link or a list within this post.

It may not come as a surprise that I guessed two of what would be in the top three...
Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen and A Whiter Shade Of Pale by Procal Harum which was the winner and it gave the BBC an excuse to even make it into a news story on their teatime news programme PM.

The People's Chart In Full

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

So what was the top 5 or top 10. I think the best selling album (STILL!) is South Pacific! Or maybe I'm a few years out of date..or maybe it was fastest selling or something.

15 April 2009 at 11:49  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Looking at the chart I still question many of the titles that are included though by the criteria being used, it will be accurate.

I suspect South Pacific is still available...some albums are never deleted.

15 April 2009 at 16:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home