My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, April 04, 2009

Just A Normal Day...

A day to stock up on those items that I have let decrease or have not purchased before(just in case I decide to do some baking)

Bargain of the day?

I stood looking at all the different hair products at various prices for washing hair in a leading high street chemists chain and thought this is just crazy.

I saw and asked the opinion of someone working there that knows most things about what they sell and bought a shampoo and conditioner in a big bottle manufactured under the shop's own brand and it says it's gentle enough to be used daily.

How much did cost? 58p. That's good enough for me.

Some of what I purchased are healthy, some are treats that will be eaten sparingly. Some I am still unable to find in the supermarket on town. We still need to use the internet or live in a large city to obtain things that the media tempts us with.

Therefore, I need to look around a larger one...I may consider making some muffins but nearly all the recipes I have say that I have to add cornmeal. There are substitute ingredients but they seem to be unavailable too, I am thinking as some other books and websites do not include cornmeal I may see if I can just...miss it out altogether.

I purchased something today that I have not done in years...fresh cream...double to be exact and it also has some vanilla added. Well, you have to have some luxuries once in a while...so we had it with apple pie as our desert after our meal tonight and we had some in our coffee! It was delicious. Just in case that seems indulgent, we had fish, broccoli and mashed potato as the main course.

Considering all the fruit and vegetables, herbs, garlic, porridge etc...that I eat this cannot make much difference to my cholesterol levels. The condition I have and the strong medication has kept my levels high for some time and as I reduce my tablets, it is hoped that will improve anyhow.

I also bought a few things to improve any scones or cakes I may make such glacé cherries and the like. Some Cocoa powder but I found some manufactured by Green and Black's that had the best cocoa beans, was free trade and organic. And similar items.

I can laugh now, I decided to have another luxurious desert the night before using my smoothie maker, ice cubes, ice cream, Irish cream whiskey. I took the machine apart as it was stained inside(that could not be removed but at least I cleaned it)

After that I managed to forget to attach the tap so all the contents I emptied into the machine came straight out of the bottom of the smoothie maker all over the Kitchen worktop.

So I lost the whiskey. What a waste.

I found after reattaching the tap, whatever I put into the machine still went everywhere and again I lost another measure of whiskey, the tap would not close. I started to think that I had assembled the parts wrongly. Eventually, it turned out the fault was within the tap.

After some time I was back in business and it was worth the trouble. And it will not happen again. Don't you love machines. So much for technology.

Today, I found a bottle of the same whiskey(double the size)in the supermarket and priced less than the smaller bottles, so I bought it to enjoy later. A small amount goes a long way. I won't be opening it for quite some time. There was a big saving on Jack Daniels too so I may get one of those next time if the offer is still on. I must sound like a drinker but I can go weeks, months and years without having alcohol pass my lips.

Now that's not to say that the bottle of drink is cheap(there is talk of the Government increasing the price of booze because of the few that mishandle it so a price hike is seen as a possible deterrent)The special offer was £7 that's quite a lot in comparison with other items you can buy such as a CD. But to get a bottle double in size and £2 cheaper than the smaller size is very welcome.

I sometimes have to hide the taste of alcohol as many are too strong though I don't mind the feeling it can sometimes give. And I am finding that I am starting to get used to some that I might've avoided in the past. Alcohol usually justs gives me a pleasant sleepy feeling.

4 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

I agree Gildy, washing your hair in a leading high street chemists is just crazy. :-)

A little cream will do no harm at all...it's all the whisky, cakes and scones that you should worry about! hehehe

P.S. A good sign is you didn't lick the kitchen surface when you spilt everything...but I bet you were tempted!

4 April 2009 at 18:53  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Span :-)

Isn't our language funny, if you are not careful how you phrase it.

No brownie points for us tonight, I have a Fresh Cream Horn for desert...lovely! That's one each BTW...

4 April 2009 at 19:53  
Blogger Span Ows said...

haha, nice final comment...as if we were imagining you noshing a fresh cream dessert while your mum had dry toast!

:-)

4 April 2009 at 21:19  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I'll put things right today...I don't usually cook fish for Sundays but salmon flillets, new potatoes and vegetables sound good to start off with...

I'll have some fruit at some point in the day...

5 April 2009 at 07:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home