My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, May 23, 2008

I Guess It's Time...

To give a quick update of how things are. There is hope of further adjustment on the medication in coming weeks and my Consultant is happy with treatment stabilising matters. Me? I'm positive(but I always have been in the ten years since being diagnosed and treated over that time)if/when I might've been told the worst case scenario that might be different. My mental attitude was always "I'm still here" and I hope to say that for a few more years yet. I will if modern medicine and a clever and knowledgeable person like my Consultant continue to be there for me.

I still dislike my cholesterol reading be so very high but again keep being told "not to worry about that" In a roundabout way it could be related to the drugs I am on or the condition. I am trying a few ways to bring that down or control it regardless. I would still like to see it reduce. If I was a few points higher than acceptable(I wouldn't bother myself)but I'm really, really high.

So I have been told that I can still eat what I wish so as Garlic is allowed I have invested in some odorless Garlic tablets. If I see my reading in a month's time and it says that the cholesterol has reduced, I'll continue, if not I'll know it's been a waste of time because my diet is good.

I was told my weight has increased yesterday and...though it could be the steroids(and also they can make you want to eat more)though I don't see 4-5lbs increase as a problem as another time you can take it off, it was suggested that I try and eat less.

As I mainly stick to the traditional Breakfast and Evening meal(with a light Lunch)I don't think I'm bad at all. I also eat foods that generally is low in calories but healthy...lots of fruit and veg. And protein is mainly lean fish and chicken.

So all I can do is reduce portions slightly and...here's what might be adding the weight...I have been eating porridge on a morning and adding sugar. So perhaps I should reduce or cut the sugar. And some days switch what I have and try cereal and/or muesli instead.

I have no major plans to change what I have always done but will keep a watch on my weight. After I had been seen I was hungry and to save me having to start cooking something when I came home I went into the hospital's restaurant and had some baked beans, a pizza square and some chips followed by a lovely mug of tea. After all I can eat less from today.

It's probably the medication but the taste of some foods has been affected. Thankfully, most have retained their original taste but some items have lost their flavour or it's been altered so they taste strange. Chocolate has taken on a different meaning, maybe that's good as you are less likely to eat it. The other night I tried a pickled onion and that tasted weird. Generally meat, fish, fruit and veg has stayed the same and that includes those little treats like ice cream, custard, trifles and so on.

I remember someone else on steroids talking with me at the hospital a few weeks ago and she said how food sometimes tasted strange and how to try and get some normality she was adding spices and the like. On the whole I'm lucky my enjoyment of food has not be altered too much.

As happened before, the main symptoms that have resurfaced I've had before and I don't do much walking. I make certain that I rest a lot. And I welcome taking it easy. I do get cramps in my feet and toes and/or hands and fingers. When it happens it can be painful and difficult to get rid of. It goes but in it's own time. Also, it does cause fingers and/or toes to kind of feel as though they are locking. That could be the medication or the condition or both.

The steroids have increased my facial size so I have the full moon look but in time as medication is reduced that should return to some normality. But not overnight. We're talking months. The other symptom that I can hear and think others can but they probably don't is that my eyes can sometimes squeak and click when I move them in their sockets to look around. Its makes me feel a bit squeamish hearing that but I assume with the increase and change of face shape, the eye socket has changed so the eye has to change shape to fit. Again that will improve in time.

So for now...that's where we are. Overall things are positive. Honestly, they are even though the above may suggest otherwise.

If we've had any problems it's been again a continuation of trying to sort medication and the collection of from a local branch of a national pharmacist. The last time being that Mum has her medication dispensed weekly at present and the other night(after a mix up at the Dr's surgery)which resulted in a prescription having to be put up at short notice otherwise she was out of having any at all. The pharmacist had managed to only put six tablets in the box instead of seven)So though only one tablet may not seem important you are still going to be short. So I had to go in and get the missing tablet.

I'm hoping that things will return to normal for a few weeks/months now and that all the mix ups are behind us. At least I have enough spare medication myself to avoid ordering a new batch of drugs for approx three weeks so I have a break from the hassle.

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Gildy you are keeping positive which is great, that comes across loud and clear in your postings. Some food does taste different with medications, I know people who haven't been able to taste strong flavours and yet have noticed subtle changes in the flavour of things like chicken.

As you say 'you're still here' and your consultant sounds like he is being positive as well.

23 May 2008 at 19:32  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Thanks Paul,
Though symptoms are seemingly negative, I do feel positive and attitude has as much a part to play as possible...it is helped when I have the backing of a good Dr that is willing to support me and when I am not having to battle against the system which I have had to in the past and if much of what is reported in the media is correct will at some point inthe future. I will worry about that as and when the time arises.

I was heartened to read that you too seem to be improving or keeping on top of your own health issues which is good to know.

24 May 2008 at 16:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home