My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Chickens Come Home To Roost...

We've been told for years that many animals that are farmed for our consumption are living a very poor and cruel lifestyle and none more so than chickens.

A number of supermarkets(at the prompting)of some tv programmes and well known cooks and chefs on tv(and a directive being hurried through the European Parliament)plans to improve or stop how this type of farming will be done in the future.

But here's a problem. Of course there are people in this world that can spend money like water and never miss it. £100 to them might be the same as £5 to someone else but most families who are working or those who are receiving welfare have to watch what they spend on food because decent food can be expensive but all the other daily bills you have to pay that continue to increase such as utility bills, rent, mortgage, travel costs and much more.

Now, presenters who work in the National media are probably on reasonable wages and are always being invited to glitzy events(I generalise)but the point I am making is that the subject of how chickens are treated by the food industry was being discussed this afternoon by a radio personality who has spent years appearing on television talking about cooking and food.

She said that we must be as they are abroad and get used to paying much more for many food items and she gave chicken as an example. She said that a whole chicken costs £30, half a chicken £15 etc...

Well, if wages being paid and welfare you are receiving are similar to what a person in the media is being paid perhaps that's acceptable but I can assure you I haven't that kind of money going spare and I don't believe in going without and always try to buy the best that I can but I doubt very few could part with that kind of money for a chicken. Some people really do need to get out there into the real world.

4 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Gildy, to be honest I think the major problem is the cost...as you mention. Chicken has to be the most consumed meat worldwide and eggs are a pretty cheap source of very goo protien (amongst other things)...to make evry bird and layer free range and happy would put the cost perunit well beyiond the average family...so it just aint going to happen. Despite all this no battery hens by 2012 EU/UK regulation I just don't see it happening....there will have to be at least 2 or three 'in-betweens' i.e. battery allowed but with more room/more light whatever...can you imagine how much an egg would cost when where now 20,000 birds are kept the farmer could only have 500 (at a push!)?

13 January 2008 at 13:32  
Blogger Paul said...

Gildy and Span you've hit on the big problem here. If large numbers of people are convinced that cheaper free range is better than battery farmed then where will the birds come from as the space isn't there?

It will be interesting to see how demand changes for 'better welfare birds.' I have a client who farms free range and he told me last week that he had nearly 200 birds left over at Christmas because the demand wasn't there at market, so he's too many older birds on his hands which he has to kill.

I'm really confused by the issue regarding animal treatment and consumption and when I can get my head around it I'll probably post an article - until then I agree with your sentiments Gildy about the hypocrisy of the media.

13 January 2008 at 19:13  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Paul,
For now and the fact there are two incomes coming into the home(thanks to Mum's State pension)we eat well. It may not remain so.

But I think we pay from £1.50-£2.00for half a dozen eggs free range. If you are a family and are working to a low income, it all adds up. Maybe, you could buy better quality food but it's everything else rising in cost that affects matters.

And though it can be argued food should not be where you make cuts(especially if you spend more on entertainment)but with utility bills, Council Tax and other items that you cannot cut back any further...likely as not that where you'll economise.

Sure you can make healthy meals on a budget(and not use as much meat) but you need some luxuries in life.

In my case, I have to use a taxi when I want to go shopping, this all adds to the cost. A round trip of only a few streets away is approx £6.

So sometimes I take the easy option and have a delivery(and put the taxi fare towards the cost of the delivery)

If I want to go to a neighbouring town that would be nearer £20 so again, I now consider paying the delivery charge and the £15 saved from the taxi towards actual groceries.

Of course there are some rogue farmers, suppliers and supermarkets but they are often an easy target and all get tarred with the same brush.

Some very good points from you Span too...

Questions are being asked about whether these recent campaigns using well known cooks and chefs on tv have been fair. The story of the farmer with many birds left over after Christmas is a good example.

And as we said earlier, the well know media types, can afford the best.

13 January 2008 at 23:33  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Been looking at some online sites connected to supermarkets and I have already found some organic chicken breasts being sold for £11 so it appears that expensive chicken is being sold already.

I wonder if they are good sellers?

15 January 2008 at 03:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home