My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, January 07, 2008

Prevention Rather Than Cure.

The British Government is promising everyone via the National Health Service will be offered a health screening to avoid or pick up early signs of heart and kidney disease, hardening of the arteries and liver problems. Who could argue that is not a good idea?

A variety of sources in the media ranging from Dr's, Government ministers and interest groups suggest that money has been taken away from the care of people with the above conditions in the last few months.

It would be better to offer such tests earlier than the suggested sixty five. My reasoning being that if your body starts to go wrong whilst you are young as help may be offered too late.
With the conditions above many take a long time to show so they would not necessarily be the what finishes you off.

Many of the above conditions could be diagnosed without a massive screening programme, what is required is more campaigns and information to persuade the public to have a few blood tests as blood can show a whole range of problems. Blood pressure, a urine test, a test to see how strong your lungs are, tests for strokes, diabetes. Cholesterol. All these tests cost pennies.

The more complicated and time consuming tests would be the promised screening for Bowel and Prostate Cancer, and a run on a treadmill, having an ECG to check your heart.

Dr's suggest that much of this has been done for years so this is just spin and announcing a policy promised before. Naturally the other political parties are saying this is a rehash of an old idea.

Come to think of it many high street chemists have offered many of these tests for years and have a promotion every so often. All you have to do is come in off the street.

It will be interesting to see if this promise can be delivered.

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

I agree that it should be earlier Gildy. Here I have had my prosate, liver, kidneys etc (plus about 20 other readings including choleserol/triglycerides etc) all done from a single blood test (2 minutes to get it then a talk with Doc a few days later - no fuss, no queues, hardly any waiting, no problem. I'm due to get it again in 6 months to get trends and see if I need any lifestyle change to correct possible problems. Now admittedly thta doesn't cover all the possible problems, heart etc but it's a good start and they can foresee a pip any arising etc...

Screening etc sounds a big deal but it really isn't and could easily be introduced - most peopel rarely viist their doc anyway so once/twice a year isn't too difficult to manage.

8 January 2008 at 11:00  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Span,
That's good to see what are reasonably easy and inexpensive tests being made available to you and to know that as far as is possible, you are fit and healthy. That they will pick up on things early.

It doesn't mean, as you prove one becomes a hypocondriac.

OK I have an illness that was missed but as far as I can say...the NHS is at least watching over me and doing what it was intended to.

As for having to be called in for a screening, my Dr sees me whenever I wish and will at my request test my blood pressure, urine and take a blood count anytime I ask.

results are available immediately and the blood counts are usually back within 48 hours.

My consultant says if certain signs happen to contact his department immediately. I don't think I can ask for much more.

Of course I'd like to be able to afford Private Care for those big things that may happen and avoid waiting lists or the worry that treatment is not available but so far I suspect what has been spent on me(including my stay in hospital when I first took ill)would've been expensive if I'd had to pay directly.

8 January 2008 at 14:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home