My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Belated Christmas Greetings and Wishes for the New Year.

This heartfelt wish goes out to all my regular readers and those of you who may stumble across this blog. I would mention you by name but probably would miss someone.

I hope the year is good to you. I hope to say more and post regularly to make it worth popping back now and again.

I end the year reasonably positive but have the ongoing medical problems to think of. I purchased a new computer a few weeks before Christmas and am still trying to decide if I like Windows Vista as an operating system. I had my older computer reformatted and some new items installed that I had worn out but I have a problem in that every so often the pc decides to freeze and it will not reboot until it has been off for maybe 90 minutes-120 hours. I like to make my own mp3's which often requires recording in real time to the hard drive and then converting from WAV to mp3.

Unfortunately, the older pc allows me to do so but the new pc when I try to do this the hard drives stutter so any recording is spoilt and not useable.

For now I am unsure why something I assume should be possible on one pc will not do the same on another.

I have seeked advice from a variety of sources without joy so far. Even my repairman has yet to solve the problem of the older pc switching off and having to wait. Or how to record on this pc.
The most recent idea for the computer failing is a power pack needs replacing(but for reasons not worth mentioning)I think we can rule that out, the other idea which is not so good is that a capacitor on the Motherboard may be failing(and to replace or repair that)I have been told is expensive.

As the PC is not that old I don't really like the idea of having a big repair bill or just throwing it away. I cannot blame overheating from dust as it all been cleaned out and blown away.

Oh, and my new pc refused to allow me onto the new net for a few days. It wouldn't connect to any sit except the home page and even if I tried to link to other areas of my home page site, it would look as though it was going work but the home page kept coming back. The old pc worked. So the repair man truns up and what happens? It works immediately for him and no reason can be given for why it happened. I'm sure he thinks I am doing something wrong or am stupid. And when it all works after you say otherwise you sometimes think that you are.

And for financial reasons I have avoided going Broadband and also because many internet providers insist on making you sign a contract for a minimum of 12 months. There are so many companies and stories for and against each you worry that you choose the right company to go with.

I have been very happy with my present company but as take a tv service from a satellite tv company for an extra £5 I could have broadband from them. And then I could look at things in a number of ways...

It's as if you are getting Broadband for nothing and is approx £18 less than many internet providers charge per month, more in some cases. Or as the combined charge of Satellite TV and Broadband is almost the same as paying for Broadband, it's as though you are getting your TV for free. Plus I believe you can have your phone included in the set up and save money on calls.
So I hope in the next few weeks to get all this sorted out.

All this has much to do with my lack of posting.

1 Comments:

Blogger Curmy said...

Gildy, I wondered what was going on ! I thought it might be something to do with your new Pooter.
I do hope you get it sorted out soon.
Hugs Curmy

6 January 2008 at 15:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home