My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, January 05, 2008

It's Not Easy Being Green...

I'm all for trying to use this planet's resources more carefully and looking after it, after all, it's all we have. I do not disagree that possibly temperatures are rising and it could effect communities around the world(on that score I would argue that the world has always gone through dramatic changes)and these dramatic changes are different combinations of what nature goes through and as much to do with the diversity of life that has inhabited the planet and will in the future. What speices we have lost and may in the future as life evolves or adapts.

The Human animal may be clever and has come up with many wonderful ideas but with these ideas, but problems arise as the original person who thought up an invention doesn't think out and someone else has to correct or improve on the idea.

The other problem and I know I've said it before, we have a feeling that it is our right that the Human Race will always be here but we know from the animals that share our planet, that is not the case.

Most of the world is made of water(sea water)and what land we have is becoming more crowded, exploited and being changed again by nature. The coasts and land is being eroded by water. We know that the Universe goes through various cycles. What we call stars are really Suns(possibly like our own)maybe stronger, it's just that they are so far away but scientests tell us that in time all suns collapse or expand or whatever it is that they do which results in planets nearby finding themselves burned out or blown apart. Before that point it's easy to assume that the planets will become so hot nothing of life as we would know will survive.

All we can hope to do is delay the final scenario.

What set off my thoughts?

Low engergy light bulbs...

What?

That's right...low energy lightbulbs.

Many pressure groups with environmentally friendly policies have pushed for ways to reduce the carbon footprint. Their intentions are probably genuine sometimes many of their ideas in a modern world are plain daft and many families could not live the lifestyle they keep telling us that we should. We'd have to have fewer people and go back to a country and village plan and dismantle our towns and cities.

I no longer have a car(I have never been abroad so have not flown)For various reasons my usual visit out of my home is to shops that are only a few streets away(but I have to use a taxi)and straight away I have fallen fowl of the blueprint to avoid making a carbon footprint as we are told we should walk or cycle everywhere. Most of my entertainment is delivered by electric power, I like my computers, my radio, my television. I have to spend a lot of time at home. I don't feel like switching everything off and doing nothing.

When I sit in my home I need to keep warm and unlike medievil times you went to bed early and when dawn broke, you got up...obviously today we use electric light but we are told not to and some extremists say that you cannot light candles for the same reasons. So what can you do?

Well, Governments across Europe...let's talk of the British Government...it has been decided to phase out the traditional electric lightbulb with a design that has lasted best part of 100 years.

By 2011 we are all supposed to be using a bulb with different technology that they say will last longer, use less electric etc...and be less harmful to the environment.

However, many who have used the new lightbulbs have reported that they are not as good.

They often take minutes to light up a room whereas the present lightbulbs light a room immediately. It is said that they are not as bright or you need to buy a higher wattage to get the same effect. Or in some cases you need to perhaps use more of them to get the same effect so you are still using as much electric.

But a report has been issued and reported heavily on tv and radio news.

Last night, it was said that some people are suffering with migraine, others who have photo sensitive skin are finding that their skin is being affected, others with eye problems are having problems too. So some charities are asking that the older bulbs not be phased out altogether and the other worry is that if the Government allows some manufacture of the lightbulbs we are familiar with, manufacturers because they are producing fewer the prices will rise.

We are being told that the new bulbs contain a small amount of mercury so to throw away a bulb is no longer simple. If you break one in the home(I don't know how practical this is...you have to leave the room for at least 15 minutes, you must not vacumn the remains of the broken bulb, you must handle it with rubber gloves and wipe everywhere down with a damp cloth and the remains of the broken bulb must be put into a sealed bag and then you must contact the local council/authority to come and take it away.

This brings me back to memories I have of where I was working a few decades ago. A branch of a large retailer in the UK had no rules about the disposal of fluresent lighting tubes. And when they failed, we had a large metal rubbish bin out the back of the store that was emptied once a week. The bulbs were put into that bin. Who knows where the rubbish was taken? But here's another point the tubes were so long they used to stick outside the bin lid so...what did we do?

Smash them up so they would fit in the bin.

Even then I used to cover my mouth or make certain I was turned in a different direction and this was done whilst they were in the bin and the lid was slapped on pretty quick. I didn't like doing it and I was always concerned about what might be in the lighting. So even then, this probably was a problem.

So we haven't really come a long way. I'm not sure that this law as stands has been well thought out and is there to appear green.

Update:My good friend North Star in the States e-mailed me with more details regarding possible problems with the new energy efficient lights and I suspect many of us will start to store up a stock of ordinary lightbulbs to last for a few years. I've listened to a radio phone-in today that had callers who have tried the new ones to find that many light fittings will not accept the new designs and others with poor eyesight saying that it's difficult to read a book by. It's said that the lights can take as long as 10-15 minutes to reach their full capacity and in some cases a light is neeeded immediately for safety.

Another so called campaign has been instigated for this weekend in London by the Mayor Ken Livingstone with a DIY chain store and a utilility company. He wants London to switch. You turn up with two ordinary lightbulbs and they will be exchanged for two of the energy efficient bulbs for free.

Will two make much difference? Usually these stores are not on the high street so you need access to a car. It just seems like another story full of spin.

2 Comments:

Blogger Name Witheld said...

I sometimes think mankind is in a "no-win" situation and this thing with the light bulbs seems to typify it. Someone invents a device which saves energy and seems like a great idea. The next thing you know is that there's a hidden danger in it, in this case mercury. The trouble is, I've no idea what the answer is.

6 January 2008 at 22:22  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Les,
I think you are right in what you say...what is the answer? I'm only a layman but do find myself leaning towards nuclear power but that still would not sort out the problems of global warming regarding electrical goods used, cars being driven or what lighting we use.

I could've cut down my post considerably without the preamble but you have to show that you see changes are happening otherwise you are seen as the enemy.

7 January 2008 at 22:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home