My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Patronising, Chummy And Empty Headed...

What seems to be trend in certain sections of radio broadcasting in the UK is breaking out. A lot of what could be very good speech/news/lifestyle type shows are going for presenters and guest so light in their style, you feel you have wasted time listening and where I would welcome a way divert some time and relax(I'm not asking that all we have is serious and dull)I enjoy a laugh as much as anyone but even the lightness being offered is poor. It's like listening to polite inane chatter at a small exclusive dinner party.

It's not on commercial radio but on one of the BBC's main speech orientated networks supposedly aimed at a news and sports audience.

And just so commercial radio doesn't feel left out, one of the few speech stations in that sector now has a daily programme to promote healthy living and lifestyles but again though getting the information out there is important and many of the guests talk sense, it also gets a lot of fuzzy, airy fairy guests who IMHO are making a nice living out of what is a load of bunkum. And the presenter is so light and inoffensive, I feel I want to turn off even if occasionally it has something that should be heard. He's too good to be true. Today, he spent what seemed like ages apologising because he didn't bike into work as he promised yesterday(and then proceeds to give excuses why and what he's doing the rest of the day and therefore hopped onto a London bus)

Or he'll start off his first show of the week apologising because he enjoyed a lovely Sunday Lunch with family and friends.

Unless, you have a medical complaint not of your doing or are taking medicine that affects you in some way. It's common sense how to look after yourself. Most things will do you now harm and its a case of everything in moderation, if you fall away one day, you make up for it the next day.

If you can, a little exercise is a must and to some extent watching that you take in less calories than are burned off but it's more of a worry to me if you spend all your waking hours thinking about dieting and chastising yourself for doing something a little naughty by treating yourself. How boring life would be.

The media and by that I mean books, television, magazines etc... create as many problems as they cure and unfortunately too many people let it all wash over them and never question or make decisions for themselves. I know some need help but all these programmes play on the vulnerable.

Just as some of the so called TV shows that exist in the US and UK that claim to be helping people with problems but actually practically throw their subjects into a bear pit with a studio audience often laughing at them or shouting abuse. And I think you can prove these people are in serious trouble by the subjects they are willing to discuss in public and be seen on national television just as often someone is brought on supposedly not knowing why until they walk out in front of the cameras but I don't know about you but if you were invited along to a TV studio for no particular reason, wouldn't the alarm bells start ringing and if you walked out and saw what was being played out, wouldn't you turn around on your heels and disappear?

Also, don't you have to sign a contract allowing the material for release. It's a sleazy side of broadcasting these days. Maybe, its always been there but I would say I became more aware of it in the last 25 years or so which is quite a large chunk of my television viewing time but thankfully I don't watch. I have seen enough to say I have a right to an opinion but that's as far as it goes.

The worst thing is that so many of these programmes then try to excuse themselves by offering help and counselling to offset the criticism of viewers or possibly broadcasting regulators. To me it's the least that they can do.

5 Comments:

Blogger Curmy said...

That was a long rant Gildy !
BTW I agree with a lot of what you've said.

4 July 2007 at 19:58  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Curmy,
I have a few spelling errors to correct but also I have thought about naming the programmes. After all it's a personal opinion only and I have a right to dislike a programme as long as criticism is constructive. And not having a go for the sake of it.

But most regular readers who live in the UK or who read the message boards I visit probably can guess what the programmes are and who I am refering to.

There is a big business out there taking advantage of the gullable, I suspect there always has been but for every one that needs genuine help, many so called experts and the media are creating many problems and having a very nice lifestyle on the back of it.

BTW the guy who went on about his not cycling into work yesterday...made a big thing of the fact that today he did cycle into work today. Big Deal...

4 July 2007 at 21:11  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Hi Gildy, I agree with you and curmy. In fact I knwo i've mentione dthis somehwere on our blogs before but lately on my visits to the UK I find it quite difficult to put up with the inane, unprofessional manner of most of the radio presenters and in fact some of the seemingly contrived and exaggerated regional accents some of them have drive me crazy. It really is a shame and most like the sound of their own voices and waffle on endlessly with no prompting needed. Good title for your post; I agree.

6 July 2007 at 16:39  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Span...your opinion counts probably more than most because...with you being out of the UK and returning or you being to compare radio from around the world, you've noticed what I am refering to.

I have had a go about this on the Points Of View Messageboard at the BBC and on our "Own" board and it also ties in with my latest rant over Digital Radio in the UK which will be my next entry(when I write it)I'm afraid some of it is a repeat but topics do resurface and older posts drop down the running order.

I want to find something to enjoy. I want to be able to switch on and find something, not always serious or demanding but I hope of high enough quality as many countries are struggling with public radio and finding the budget much reduced.

The style of broadcasting we have...this banal chuminess(and humour) is expressed by the fact that one of the most highly thought of people within commercial radio over here gave us a certain type of music policy in recent years and presenters like "Dr" Fox. Capable and likeable but exciting and different...no. I came across a site which has quite a few articles and podcasts to help commercial radio stations in the UK called the Radio Centre(it's worth a look)

I mention the latests awards of the National Digital Stations Licence not because, I think the wrong choice because it doesn't suit my tastes but becuase the same old faces and companies are involved, the choice is smaller and the loser offered a greater choice of originality and innovativeness. This on top of the UK choosing a system of digital broadcasting already out of date and being ditched by most other countries that are deciding to broadcast digitally.

I may seem a radio fanatic or anorak but the problem is those running the medium may, if they are not kept on teir toes, turn it into something undervalued and this at a time when people have returned to radio after being so taken with television.

6 July 2007 at 19:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gildy, still on your high horse I see but I agree with everything you have said.

Take care
Lxxx

9 July 2007 at 06:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home