My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

No Parking Sir...

Having been a driver I am usually very pro driver and sympathetic to the problems of finding parking spaces and appreciate that many towns are not designed for the amount of traffic they now have to deal with. many households that had no car of their own or perhaps one or at the most two...have three or four. There are only so many garages and/or spaces available to park on the roadside. Lay bys are rare and of course you should avoid parking in a dangerous manner(up on paths causing obstacles for both disabled and blind people to get past)or at junctions. Not forgetting double parking.

I think I've covered all bases there.

Well, the borough council do not like vehicles parking on grass verges, it's untidy and causes damage.

Today, I watched a car race down our road, come straight off the road via the lower part of next door's drive, straight onto the verge in front their house and continue onto our's. I usually chunter to myself about it not being right but today I went down and gave one of my looks.

He asked if I had a problem. He had a couldn't care less attitude, walked off to do what he had to do(looked like a debt collector or an insurance salesman)not even in this road and then upon his return tried to excuse himself by saying he couldn't park anywhere else.

There was a big space on the opposite side of the road(enough for at least his car, possibly two)and he could've always parked his car further down the road and walked back. It wasn't a long walk, seconds. He tried to start saying that it was a public highway and the verges are not belonging to any house. But I was already cheesed off and stated my point again that the council dislikes and does not allow(and I've seen it mentioned in council issued newspapers) parking on such areas.

Truth was he was lazy and couldn't be bothered to take the time to park. After he drove off, he did park further down the road to visit another property and remarkably he managed to park on the road itself and walk back to the premises he had to visit. It shows that it can be done. Whether our little "Chat" has had the desired effect and has changed things for the future if he comes this way again, time will tell. Thinking about it further I suspect he chose our verge because we have a hedge and he thought he could hide behind it.

Had he asked, I would've said he could use our drive. Or if he was staying minutes why park on the verge? He was in sight of his car, he could've parked at the bottom of the drive and nipped back had it needed to be removed. I am a reasonable guy, it takes a lot to get me angry and I think I grew more so because of his manner.

I am tired of seeing our verge always being chosen for cars to park on(they've another four to choose from)and it always seems to be being damaged or churned up. Something that seems to have only started to happen in the last two or three years.

5 Comments:

Blogger Curmy said...

Gildy, he's obviously common as muck, with no manners !

27 June 2007 at 17:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not only that Gildy, after all the rain this country has been getting of late (more than others) it gets churned up, makes ruts when dried out and looks unsightly the councils don't make this law for nothing. We have similar by laws here, and in the end the council were so fed up with it they ended up puting stakes of wood in every foot or so to stop this.

What another thing that bugs me about some inconsiderate drivers, is parking on the pavement, not only does it block a path for disabled, blind people but for babies in prams and buggies. I have had a few run ins with some inconsiderate drivers, especially on bin day, they park their car in normal place and then promptly put their bucket out blocking the path completely forcing you on to the road. Another time a man had parked completely on the pavement so he could put car seats in the car, I had a few choice words to say then, and what really got me was that he had a drive way <----high horse moment over.

Back to your subject he probably knew that you would be watching but it is laziness, but then a lot of car drivers are so damned lazy they can't bear to walk a few yards.

Please note this is one of my favourite moans inconsiderate drivers. Thank you for making my day :-)

Regards
Lxxx

28 June 2007 at 07:31  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

How could I miss out Prams and buggies or people with young children in my pre-amble?

I'm pretty laid back and have to some extent been sensible over skips needed by people when doing repairs as for example the neighbours have kept them on their own verge and how often does one have a skip? Problem is they usually deliver by coming in from our side and leaving the same way.

Last time the skip became so heavy we were left with two deep holes in it. It couldn't be removed and another lorry had to be brought in...at least that driver put some wooden boards down which avoided the damage getting worse.

Those holes may still be there, I'll have to look sometime.

If the someone is doing work for me and the person has to park on my verge...it's mine and my visitors/my risk but a stranger...no.

There was plenty of space between us as I made my point(just as well)in other circumstances in hindsight in this day and age I might've been talking to someone ready to attack me physically after some of the stories in the press of late.

But I'm still here.

28 June 2007 at 10:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lost it yesterday - my temper that is, and when I lose it people beware. When picking up my children from school, an inconsiderate woman (glamour puss of a granny) had parked (4x4) on the path leading to the school, forcing me and others onto the grass (rather muddy) or the road. She (the glamour puss) was sitting in it, I gave a look and when she eventually did come out, stood there on the road (pity there was no cars) waiting for her grandchild. Now I was at simmering point, and I blew! Her attitude stank I did take her registration and reported her. I said a few choice words and was backed by other parents, and did she care, nope, that made me worse. Just because she was too lazy to walk from the car park (a few yards away) to the school. How I didn't swear I do not know.

Lxxx

29 June 2007 at 08:04  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Skiprage, vergerage and schoolparking rage...yep, the new dangers of suburban living! :-)

Really all it is is inconsiderate bums and they need to be told they are inconsiderate bums so well done to both of you.

30 June 2007 at 18:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home