My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Digital Radio In The UK Can Be Pants...

We have music stations offering in some cases music neglected elsewhere and what happens? Some of the stations close and some broadcast in mono. If its music originally recorded in Mono, it doesn't matter but best part of it is recorded in stereo so to offer it any other way and at a reduced bitrate is just crazy.

So it's been a while since I scanned the stations available. Now, there may be an excuse for broadcasting some traffic reports especially as I see it when the weather is very extreme but it makes more sense to listen to a local station to get upto date and immediate help but who would sit and listen to a station that does nothing but broadcast traffic reports and nothing else? Well, someone thinks it's a winner because I have found a station doing just that.

I'm sorry but I just see it as wasting another space on what is proving to be an overcrowded and over hyped medium of broadcasting. Well, if we had gone for a different system as other parts of the world have and we look as though we plan to many years in the future(missing out until then)it might be ok and there might be space for this station offering a niche market.

I resent it taking up room that another station could use to greater use. I haven't listened long enough to see how it's financing itself(if it's through advertising revenue)who really sees this station bringing in enough people to make it viable?

I also thought that RDS which many radio's in a car have within the technology was there to interrupt to give appropriate traffic information if something important was needed to be known in the area you are motoring. The idea being it will override whatever station you are tuned to.

Maybe I'm wrong. I know that radio and television is not there just for me and others have a right to have something to suit them.

Update:I understand that the winner of the new licence and next stage of DAB stations will be announced on Friday July 6th by the broadcasting regulator Ofcom.

1 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Hi Gildy, I found out last week that I may know the guy in charge of all Dig Radio at the beeb...an old friend - not confirmed yet but am investigating! :-)

6 July 2007 at 16:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home