My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Balls...

We've had some weather this past week and various towns and cities across the whole of the UK have had flash floods. Resulting in houses, businesses etc...being flooded. So living close to a river that swells and overflows its banks cannot always be blamed though a fair few incidents have been caused through living in such locations.

A few years ago, I discovered our outhouse was flooding and because I often had no reason to be in the room, it had been happening for some time and had been missed by me. The reason appears to have been caused by neighbours who share our downpipe. Instead of water going into the system it was spashing back onto the brickwork and seeping through the wall and then dripping off the damp course and onto the floor.

Luckily, it was fixed and so far since then...no problem. Until, today.

It had started again and I looked outside to find the guttering of next door over flowing and water seeping through joinings. What to do. I started to think, is it blocked, can I see a cause. I managed to get a pair of step ladders close enough to look over and thankfully reach the problem.

I discovered the reason. A child's soft ball blocking the downpipe(thankfully still enough of it showing)so I could get hold of it and remove it. You would not believe the amount of water that went gushing down the pipe having been held back by the offending item. I can see a tennis ball at the other end of the neighbours guttering and I just hope that it doesn't find its way to blocking the pipe as I have a feeling that could actually disappear down the pipe and not be so easy to retract. But for now, we have avoided the possibility of a flood once again, thankfully.

If only all problems were so easy to correct.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

At first I thought you were talking about Wimbledon but then I read your blog.

Have a word with you neighbour Gildy. Also put some chicken wire over the guttering (so things can bounce off) but leave gaps so if anything does get lodged it's easy to clear.

Take care
Lxxx

23 June 2007 at 16:06  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

That's a good idea, the simplest ideas are best(probably why I didn't think of it :-)

There must have been a temporary blip in the power supply today as the computer rebooted around Noon and I discovered that some homes in neighbouring towns had lost power after somewhere had been struck by lightening and a big town in County Durham(Darlington)had a flash flood affecting the centre of that town and for awhile it was virtually cut off.

A hanger that houses an air ambulance had been struck at least 4 times.

Its been strange but I still do not associated these recent events with the Global Warming spin. Our weather has always thrown up exceptions.

23 June 2007 at 20:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do know why you didn't think of that either Gildy ;-)

We've had horrendous weather today as well, torrential rain, flood at my back, not had thunder yet but head is thumping (usually a sign with me) but what are you trying to do to yourself being on the computer in a thunderstorm? It's asking for trouble that hence why they say never use the phone during one either.

As for GW and the weather, you are right, we can't have it nice all the time, in fact apart from April even though it was cold here, I've hardly seen the sun, and what sun I have seen it's only lasted a day, I have a slight tan (could be rust!) but usually I'm really brown by now, but I won't if I'm wearing a jacket all the time :-(

Take care
Lxxx

23 June 2007 at 20:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home