My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

A New Range Of Sweets

I sometimes have difficulty deciding whether to give an insight into my personal life and views or to sometimes give you a link to a story because it surprises me or I find it interesting and leave it at that but if I did that, there are so many I would like to share and that's all I would do.
However, I did find the following article in today's Sunday Mail Newspaper unusual. Probably, only because I had never thought about sweets being a problem because certain ingredients are unacceptable for avrious reasons other than because of health concerns.

It can only be a matter of time that other manufacturers do not follow suit, I am surprised that the company concerned doesn't just change their range and make it available to all except its early days I suppose and you cannot change things overnight especially if doing so could actually mean a drop in your business.

Haribo have launched a Halal version of various sweets for Muslims. Ok, its obviously another section of the population to sell to but there must be market for them.

Apparently the range is already on sale at Asda supermarkets but I assume they will be available mainly in areas where there is a large community of Muslims or the range will be smaller in some areas otherwise they could stay on the shelves. Then again, if the changes are for the good, if they would switch to the new ingredients and sell to all, anyone could buy them.
The difference is that gelatin and alcohol based colourings and flavourings have been removed. It is said that the sweets taste almost the same as the originals but the change makes items softer and less rubbery.

Now, to me that sounds better all round.

The Halal Haribos for Muslim children

Haribo Website

4 Comments:

Blogger Gracchi said...

My brother's a veggie- this'd be good for a whole lot of people like him I suspect as well.

19 November 2006 at 17:14  
Blogger ja said...

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Gildy. I'm considering whether or not to tell my younger sister about this because she'll pester me to take her to the local Asda store ;)

I find this to be a heartening story, involving a Jewish gentleman who has seen a market for a Halal based product for primarily Muslims (as is evident from Gracchi's comment and many left on the Daily Mail website, Vegetarians are very much welcoming this development), all of it happening in a predominantly Christian/secular country.

I don't know too much about the Halal food industry, except that it is a growing and lucrative market. It was about a couple of years ago that I noticed the Halal sign/logo on the side of a packet of cornflakes (I assume it's placed there to reassure Muslim consumers).

I think we'd all agree that there are varying degrees to which different people follow their respective faiths. A person may be bought up as a subscriber to a given religion yet hardly set foot in a religious building relating to that faith. I think this is relevant to most if not all of the major religions.

An example I have posted twice on the UK News board in this past week is linked below. It involves a gentleman who sees himself as a Muslim, while essentially doing something which is forbidden in Islam (drinking/selling alcohol). I think the main point here is that if he is comfortable with it and it's not breaking the law then what harm can it do (as with the Haribo story, it can be a boost for the economy).

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/business/s/228/228155_a_wine_with_your_curry.html

19 November 2006 at 18:13  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Ja, a very sensible attitude and points well made. I've known people who have sometimes done something that officially they are not supposed to.

I love to have what to some may seem as a light story but one I see as having a positive side.

19 November 2006 at 23:26  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

I found it very surprising when I was working in a University a few of the more militantly vegetarian students wanted to ban almost all sweets from sale on students' union premises because of the gelatine in them. In sweets.

21 November 2006 at 16:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home