My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

More DAB News...

The UK is likely to be left behind, because this country has a version of DAB based on a much less efficient MP2 codec. It could be obsolete as technology moves along. Without getting too technical it performs particularly badly at the lower bitrates and which almost all the UK's DAB radio stations use.

Countries, such as Australia, as I said earlier on my blog decided to adopt the new system before a WorldDAB Forum took place in South Korea. It doesn't stop there, other examples were given by me again earlier but some web radio broadcasting are also using the new system, even in the UK.

However, it is acknowledge by the industry that where DAB has achieved good sales figures the less than perfect system will be used for the foreseeable future and so from that I guess its fair to say that if information of the new system is not published anywhere people will continue to purchase the DAB receivers that are being sold in the shops and have already been manufactured and to ditch them would be at considerable cost, it would not surprise me if the industry would decide to reduce the prices to shift more stock.
The new system has been submitted to those who decide matters regarding broadcasting as a standard for broadcasting and compatible receivers and services are expected to be available in 2007.

The expectation is that manufacturers who serve the global market will produce radios that support both the UK and global standard and that might help get around the problem especially if the UK broadcasters decide to use the better system at some point in the future and could avoid the UK public having to throw out radio's already purchased as if the broadcasters switch over the radio would still be usable. Anyone with an older radio would have to decide whether to buy a new radio and it could mean that the DAB transmitters here would have to broadcast on both systems and make a decision whether at some point as with analogue television's switch over to digital to turn off the older system.

You could question whether Ofcom is the best organisation to watch over the technical side of broadcasting and should concentrate more on the content of what is broadcast and pass the technical side over to a more independent body that deals with transmitters etc...
Ofcom seems to be more concerned with advertising the second national digital multiplex plus several local multiplexes by the end of the year. And often seems to be quoted in the press mentioning the extra choice that DAB has brought the UK consumer.

I don't feel so bad in that my first DAB radio only cost around £39 and therefore I am not going to be too upset if I had to invest in a newer DAB radio offering both systems. It does not help that much of the information received in the UK comes from an organisation that is tied up with the broadcasters and those running the transmitters. So of course they will promote the system that has been adopted in the UK already because they have invested so much into it.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gildy, well I feel bad, because I paid a bit more for mine !
BTW,When I try to access my e-mails, Microsoft Office Manager pops up, and tells me lots of complicated things about accessing my e-mails, but not how to !
I think I must have clicked on some link, but I'm not sure what.
Any ideas ?

9 November 2006 at 13:13  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Hello Fromesblog,
Oh there some great DAB radio to be had and its made life easy for me as I have for so long used the satellite downstairs to timeshift and to hear good quality radio but the DAB Radio has given me access to some of my most listened to stations in the bedroom and thankfully most of those I listen to are on the highest bitrate.

My latest entry does not mention that this new system also allows broadcasting on the AM wavelegth too without the fading and other problems. We appear to have jumped in with both feet instead waiting a while.

We did that with satellite initially. How many purchased BSB in the UK because it offered 5 channels and a small dish. OK it took about 10 years but eventually Astra offered digital satellite and their dishes became quite small too and offer many more tv and radio channels.

I went for the Astra option and was proved right.

As to the problem with e-mails...I suspect you are right, something has been clicked and its a simple problem to put right but not having Microsoft Office Manager this is one problem I cannot help but...

Can I suggest the following site with some really friendly people and who can fix most problems in a way that is easy to understand(I use it)its free as well.
http://www.webuser.co.uk/

And just join the forum and ask your questions.

If I can ever help with an answer I will.

It may be that another of my regular readers may have an answer and may put it on here for you so don't give up...

9 November 2006 at 14:00  
Blogger Curmy said...

Gildy, it's me ! !

9 November 2006 at 14:21  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Hello Curmy,
You mean you are Fromesblog? ;-)
Wish I could help...at least you can get on here...

Is it just e-mails going out that are not working or those that you receive?

9 November 2006 at 17:58  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Or do you mean that you are able to post comments as Curmy and Fromesblog is another person?

9 November 2006 at 18:00  
Blogger Curmy said...

No, Gildy, they are both me, I had a senior moment !
My neighbour's fixed my e-mails, I'd accidentally disabled Outlook Express (Doh)

9 November 2006 at 19:57  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Now, why didn't I think of that?

Perhaps you have one of the newer receivers that has an electronic programme guide(similar to the idea on Freeview)or the kind that allow you to connect it to your pc via a USB cable and receive software updates when they are required. That's something my receiver does not do as far as I am aware.

9 November 2006 at 21:08  
Blogger Curmy said...

Gildy, goodness knows what it does !

9 November 2006 at 21:46  

Post a Comment

<< Home