My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, November 09, 2006

An Englishman's Home Is His Castle...

Well, I have gone on about it long enough and though I have respected the privacy of my neighbours the following images show what I now see from my bedroom and the dining room instead of what was originally a natural border(see some earlier images on my blog)and a long established tree.

You will remember that I have always said that it is only fair that people wish to stamp their character on the property that they move into and also it is their right to have things the way they wish but equally I have always believed in trying to fit within the area that we are located and take my neighbours into account.



I think that I am able to share these images because...it is the view that I now see and until I am able to add some shrubs with some height to change the view this could be seen for some time in the future. I cannot really grow things on the fence because...they put it up so technically it is their's.

The problem is...for a detached house, one with a lot of grounds and so on its probably perfectly fine. But these houses were not designed to have a conservatory added to them and not one as grand as this. The neighbour next door added one last year(I think)but it is smaller and more like an extension to the property.


This has glass all the way around so unless windows are open or air conditioning/electric fans are installed as Curmy has suggested its going to get pretty warm in there especially during the Summer months. I know that even the other smaller room the other way was very hot this year and the doors were open the whole day and well into the night.


They've also lost at least another third of the garden having built a patio that looks more like a town square so virtually all of the lawn is lost. And again in really hot weather the sunlight will reflect off this and create a lot of extra heat too.

Posted by Picasa

Mum has kind of accepted it because(in general we have always left our back garden tidy but also very nature like)with areas that birds and wildlife felt comfortable and safe. And since all these changes birds are fewer, the squirrels have disappeared, I haven't seen any frogs or toads so things are very different. Seeing the area has become very open she feels this has kind of given us back some privacy because we are not looking onto their garden but as it has windows all the way around unless they put some shades on the side facing our garden I am looking into it from my bedroom or dining room so I am not sure that they going to have total privacy.

Perhaps, it doesn't look too bad on the photographs and its more noticeable when seen in reality.

You know what? I think the conservatory may've been acceptable and looked better had it been situated more centrally and not put up against the fence, there is little if any room for anyone to get between it and the fence. Certainly, if the windows require washing(and today one of the neighbours was trying to get the stickers off the glass)she's quite slim and it was really difficult.

I'm led to believe that when a conservatory goes over a certain size planning permission has to be sought so maybe this is acceptable on both counts. I think that we have more to be unhappy about then when they complained and we had an official visit from the council because a few birds visited our garden(no more than any other in the area)previous neighbours have all kept it simple.

When a builder was erecting a wall in their front garden he said it would add value to our property, perhaps but with all the talk of increases in the Community charges and government departments about to get the right to enter all properties across the UK and take photographs etc...and all alterations being taken into account what they have done could result in us paying much more than before and that is something I can do without.

But for all the above we do talk and get on...I'd rather just regroup and camouflage the situation. I am sure it is possible to improve things and get close to how things were again.

Speaking of which...look at these lovely little trees...Italian Cypress as suggested by Dee in California...

And below what they can grow into very quickly...tempting isn't it?

Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Blogger Curmy said...

Oh dear Gildy, it's hideous how can people be so thoughtless and have so little taste! I'd plant a quick growing hedge if I were you.

9 November 2006 at 21:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God - it looks horrible.

Yes - plant something quick growing like those hideous lleyllandies (I don't know how to spell it) just to block that hideous sight (at least from ground level).

It really does seem incongruous to plonk such a carbuncle like that in not a very large garden.

Alright, it's their fence - that only means that they have the responsibility to maintain it. Doesn't mean that you can't plant something your side of it.

9 November 2006 at 23:42  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

They are quite good sized gardens but once you start adding more buildings its amazing how quickly things reduce. I would guess if measured by using strides all they've added is approx 5 steps in length and perhaps 3 in width so I'm not sure what they've gained...

It faces onto that patio and on that patio(even though all these house have garages and a kind of outhouse that is big enough to use as a place for a fridge and washing machines, storing of tools, lawn mowers or whatever)they also have erected a garden shed.

How fair am I? Well, I used to
worry in case I upset friends who may have conservatories themselves because they are popular but generally more people do seem to agree than disagree.

They are trying to make a house into something that it is not.

10 November 2006 at 00:13  
Blogger Name Witheld said...

It's a monster, isn't it? Was it Darlington Town Council who gave permission for it?

My first thoughts are the same as Sarnia's : leylandii. I never thought I'd advocate their use but this just might be the time.

I don't think you're being unfair. Conservatories are O.K. but, like every other piece of architecture, they can be used of out context and that's what's happened here. The damned thing is far too big for it's surroundings.

10 November 2006 at 18:42  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I think the other error is that the neighbour(who is a builder)built the foundation too near the fence so...what could the guy who then had to erect it do?

If my memory is correct of where you work(it comes under that council)

A leylandii was removed before it was erected so ok we'll look for something else now, well after Christmas/early next year maybe a hedge or some high growing shrubs...Curmy suggested Hawthorn(Her brother works for a council in the South)and says they are a good choice. My friend Dee in the States mentioned a similar problem and they've planted Italian Cypress. I'll post a couple of pictures...they'd work but boy do they grow ;-)

10 November 2006 at 19:00  
Blogger Linda Mason said...

Gildy, only just seen this but did they have planning permission for this? Did you get a letter from the council advising you of where the plans could be viewed? I ask because this looks suspiciously like it breaks every rule in the book.

Don't use leylandii so close to the house. They will undermine your foundations. I read somewhere they must be at least 70 metres from your house because they suck up all the water around them and casue subsidence.

14 November 2006 at 15:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home