My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

DAB Or Not DAB...That Is The Question...

Some of this is quite boring unless you are really into radio and what may happen in the future but I hope you'll stick with it...

I love radio and have a smattering of understanding of how it works but my knowledge is very simplistic. Thankfully the internet can and does give access to much information and you can avoid some of the spin that is put out by the broadcasters and manufacturers of equipment.

Sometime ago on a forum at the BBC7 website questions were asked about the reception of BBC7 radio.

Why?

Well, for starters people who had invested in a digital radio receiver were I think, disappointed that it was available only in mono(as is Radio 5)even though many shows are in stereo. Hence, I listened via the satellite signal. My next idea was to invest in a Freeview box which though mainly sold as a digital tv receiver, it also offers a limited selection of radio and on this platform BBC7 is in Stereo(as is Radio 5 I believe)but it appears if my information is correct...the limited frequency bandwidth does mean that occasionally some of the bitrate of some stations are borrowed by others when sound quality is a major factor to a certain programme.

Then, I did decide to invest in a DAB radio and some extent though I still prefer the sound and range offered on satellite but as FM signals have been poor for years if you try to hear anything in stereo around my home via DAB radio I can hear stations in stereo with little or no interference, stations that are normally on AM are now available and sound as though they are on FM.

Most are broadcasting at 128kps(whatever that means)some at 160kps and even the mono stations at 64kps are still fine. Especially, if they are speech orientated. But I have heard some tests at a lower rate and they sound really bad.

Even my portable DAB radio only works in certain locations and it doesn't take much to lose the signal so it is consigned to my bedroom. At least I can lie in bed and listen to stations I could not before. I suspect things will improve as long as companies add more transmitters across the UK and add relays to piggy back the signal and fill in gaps. More frequencies are freed up by the Government and the technology improves. An external antenna could pull in a better signal so do look at a better quality feature packed receiver. If more transmitters come online maybe stations lost from neighbouring areas may be available again.

I can pick up a few stations from Yorkshire which allows me to access some duplicate stations(handy if one goes off air)and some that are the same offer different dj's/music in another area even though they have the same station brand. And other stations not meant to be heard here(I can get one called Yorkshire Sound or something)

But my DAB Radio at present cannot pick up BBC Radio Newcastle and BBC Radio York which I can via FM.

DAB Transmitters Coming On Line

The world's largest DAB digital radio network, operated by Digital One, has turned on its 103rd transmitter at Dundry East near Bristol. A further 11 transmitters are also planned to be switched on in the next 12 months.

The transmitter at Dundry East brings new or improved national commercial DAB digital radio coverage to the area southwest of Bristol. This allows DAB digital radio owners to enjoy Oneword, Planet Rock, Core, Capital Life, talkSPORT, Classic FM and Virgin Radio.In addition to this new transmitter, Digital One has announced another 11 sites that will be turned on over the next 12 months. These transmitters will extend and improve coverage in Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire, West Yorkshire, Hertfordshire, Monmouthshire, Hampshire and Essex.

But I did hint earlier that some countries are not as in love with DAB radio as the UK. And that another type of receiver and type of broadcasting could arrive to either work alongside DAB or instead of.

And it would appear that Australia is already looking into it.

Why is it so special and what are the implications for the UK? It will depend if those that run radio in the UK allow this alternative system to broadcast or block it so its available elsewhere around the world but not in this shores to protect the investment in DAB Radio.

You might ask if we have gone down the DAB radio path too soon.

DRM, unlike its DAB counterpart, is designed to deliver digital radio services with FM-like quality sound over bands currently used for AM broadcasts. This could open the way for more stations to broadcast, free up further frequencies and avoid the fading signal that's affected by weather conditions, if using AM bandwidth could it be that stations may be able to cover greater distances as the DAB system does still appear to behave similarly to FM in many aspects but the important thing as far as I can see is that you need to access the AM band and if the spectrum is sold off before this new system is developed it could be killed off before its started.

More information is available here but this is really for those who understand really technical stuff not for the fainthearted.

DRM Forum

It would appear that it is possible to manufacture a receiver that can deliver both DAB/DRM and information suggests that a combined receiver is capable of using less power.

There is from information I have seen, some receivers being built and it is suggested that the first models are going to be made available in Germany.

Also, that there have been some tests of DRM and they have been taking place for at least 3 years.

So the future of digital radio is far from settled and it will be interesting to see where it goes next.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very informative stuff, thanks Gildy. Like yourself, I'm fascinated by the digital move. It's the first time I've heard of DRM though, something to be reading up on.

Your drmrx.org link has good links to photos of current DRM players and they look slick. Of course, looking good is one thing but what we really want is something which just works.

As you say, DAB is still very much in it's infancy here. I too very much look forward to seeing how DAB develops and if the DRM technology get's incorporated into the market somehow.

I can shed some light on the 'kbps' (or kilobits per second) after the number, simply put, the higher the better when it comes to audio quality.

I've noticed Classic FM has one of the highest at 192/160, which is understandable as classical music connoisseurs would not be happy with a shoddy quality of sound.

You're point about stereo/mono is well founded and it can greatly affect audio quality. For instance, the BBC AsianNetwork broadcasts on DAB with 64kbps in mono, I think this is shocking quality (it's fine for voice/phoneins but inadeduate for music).

I hope a new transmitter appears near you soon so you can listen to BBC Radio Newcastle :)

Jamat

30 September 2006 at 21:02  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gildy, I watched an item on the news tonight about a town somewhere where they're going to turn off the analogue signal a year earlier.
However lots of people in the town, mostly OAPs havn't the foggiest what's going on, and havn't been given the assistance promised by the Govt.

30 September 2006 at 21:13  
Blogger James Cridland said...

Curmy - that's analogue switchoff for television, not radio.

Interesting article, 'Gildy' - thank you. We've broadcast in DRM as well as DAB, and we think a mixture might be the best plan.

James @ Virgin Radio

30 September 2006 at 21:28  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry JRC I didn't make myself clear, I meant television.

1 October 2006 at 09:54  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Jamet,
I forgot all about DRM radio until yesterday and thought it worth mentioning.

Curmy, soon without a box or inbuilt function in a tv we'll have no choice. My area is to be turned off last I believe.

JRC,
Thanks for that and very interesting to hear that Virgin has tried DRM broadcasts already.

If the information is sent as data and turned back into sound as DAB is, after all a digital radio is really a little computer, then its offering high quality sound via AM which can be poor and that sounds a great use of the waveband and will allow more space for broadcasters and for them to spread allowing higher bitrates perhaps.

So did the UK rush into DAB radio too soon?

Looked over your site and its great...please let me know if I can link to you. Its good to have access to an area of broadcasting the public rarely sees.

Thanks

Gildy

1 October 2006 at 11:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home