My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire...Spoiler!

I can enjoy a quiz show when I am looking for something not too demanding but practically all such shows that once were question based now often you get money for doing very little and very few game shows are quiz based. Will they ever find their way back?

Whatever you think of WWTBAM it was one of the more recent formats to sell worldwide and was an easy way to spend an hour. If I remember correctly it was live when it started which added to the excitement but once it became recorded, much of the excitement went out of the show. I wish more programmes were live again(its especially important for some quiz shows)or at least less information was released to spoil the excitement. I rarely see anything on television that is what I call must see entertainment. I used to rush home from work or sometimes not go out in case I missed something. That either means that I was sad or there was more things that I enjoyed and it was, for me a golden time of broadcasting.

How long do you think Millionaire will continue to run in the UK? I notice that this weekend upon its return its not been placed at the centre of ITV1's schedule but at the earliest time to be included as part of the evening's entertainment at 5.45pm and what would've been Millionaire's slot now taken up with another series as a vehicle for Ant And Dec.

And LBC mentioned today that the fifth official Millionaire has won on the programme. And the story is already in the papers so when Ingram Wilcox comes on we'll know that he wins. It also appears that he tried before and failed on the fastest finger test so it pays not to give up as you can get onto the show again.

If Span is reading or anyone who saw one of my previous entries about the man who "Banged the gong!" at the start of the J Arthur Rank films(there was more than one)but the selection in the answers asked of Ingram on Millionaire that won him the £Million, it was which of the boxers listed was it and it was Bombardier Billy Wells. What a coincidence.

Millionaire Story

9 Comments:

Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

No connection to each other but another coincidence...

The person found guilty of cheating on the UK version of Millionaire had the surname of Ingram and the new Millionaire's Christian name is...Ingram.

14 September 2006 at 09:59  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Where's my tenner?

I had a feeling that you may be away. At least you are safe. all the best for when you embark on the next journey.

15 September 2006 at 17:31  
Blogger Paul said...

Hi Gildy,

Millionaire was never live -always 'nearly live' due to the 'phone a friend' section taking twenty minutes to set-up apparently.

Did you know that if you are selected the company that runs it from Elstree (I think) tell you what time train you have to catch and if you don't get to the Studios by the appointed time you don't get on - it's all run on military style lines.

16 September 2006 at 13:48  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I think that you are right Paul...I think initially production was few days ahead of transmission and it ran across a week or a fortnight nightly...

It must be delayed a number of times because between every contestant they have to keep removing and replacing the seats and computer screens that they use to play the game. It must be filmed in segments...

Ant & Dec's Takeaway is filmed as live in general but there's no way that's live. I think its filmed the night before it goes out and though many ITV light entertainment shows are done from the building once associated with London Weekend on the banks of the River Thames, they are just as likely these days to produced in a studio hired from the BBC.

And many shows that look as they are done in London are often produced elsewhere. Jeremy Kyle's programme is made in Manchester.

17 September 2006 at 00:37  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Didn't you just know that with the ad breaks, the chatter between rounds and so on that the winner would come back next week and it would be spread between two programmes.

So next week he returns for one question.

17 September 2006 at 17:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting that you mention Jeremy Kyle, Gildy. Are you a fan of Kyle and these types of shows? A friend persuaded me to go with him to a Jeremey Kyle recording session last year. It was based at the Granada studios in central Manchester (apparently it's possible that more than one show is recorded in one day, adverts for future shows were recorded during the breaks).

I'm the type that light heartedly mocks this type of show however, it turned out to be an interesting/pleasant experience. You are left with the feeling as to why the people who go on, expose so much of their personal issues. I suppose if it helps them in some way, then all's well and good.

There will be some who appear on it (one participant was clearly not handling it well that day and requested not to go ahead with her story), who cannot deal with the pressure and either back out or are presumably left to deal with extra stress following the show.

18 September 2006 at 21:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forgot to add that I had a listen to Nick Abbot on Saturday night (thanks for the LBC recommendation), it was very good radio and what a variety of effects he has ;) Need to give Steve Allen and Anna Raeburn a listen too, the latter I fondly remember listening to on TalkRadio.

18 September 2006 at 23:15  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Ja...
Nick has always said that he dislikes topics and just prefers it to amble along and its amazing how many of their presenters can do a programme sometimes with very few calls.

Often wherever he is those sound effects seem to go and if he's staying for some time they get loaded on the studio computer and he must have hot keys that he can hit as required but I got the impression in the past that it was a machine he brings in with him and might belong to him.

I still have to listen to last weekend's programme but if you heard any female voice saying "No" or "Alright Yeah" and the like they were recorded from some of the programmes he used to do with Carol McGiffin and the Scottish "Hello" is GMTV's Lorraine Kelly.

I'm interested in your story about Jeremy Kyle and may return to that subject. I often criticise the shows or those similar but they still can be interesting to discuss.

I may be able to tie it into comparing whether blogs have any simularities with baring your soul.

I want to say why would anyone come onto such a programme by contacting the researchers in the first place but maybe I could say why do I take part on the messageboards or have a blog.

Sorry if I miss any comment you make on an entry that has dropped down, I have introduced a facility that often sends an e-mail to me so I know when a comment has been left but only some arrive. I think its usually from people who have opened a blog of their own.

20 September 2006 at 00:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't remember if there was an effect with a females voice, there was a G W Bush one and it was funny. I found Nick's style quite similar in some ways to Tommy Boyd, a bit quirky while being listenable. I've listened to Fighting Talk a couple of times and they also use a similar effects routine which allows them to instantly play a relevant sound.

A blog entry relating to the Kyle show and more generally about those types of shows (also message boards and blogs as you said) would be great. I quite understand if you miss any comments on old entries for the reasons you mention. I enjoy reading your blog entries, sometimes I don't manage to leave a comment every time. Keep up the great work :)

20 September 2006 at 23:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home