My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Latest News On Local Town Developments...

Just an update from a free sheet that dropped through the mailbox last evening...and the continuing situation regarding the neighbouring town of Darlington which will have some effect on my town as people do travel to other areas to shop and its latest development regarding the changes to the town centre which has for at least a year(I think its longer than that) been turned into a traffic free zone. Its suggested that it all should of been ready by around November of this year but...

Like nearly all big plans...its is over budget(by a couple of million)and probably it will not be ready until late Summer 2007(and it is believed that cost will be millions more over budget by then)

Tied in with this, is the campaign for or against the new Tesco Supermarket and luxury flats/new Town Hall development and there have been public consultations taking place in recent weeks and so far though the samples taken so far who have bothered to make their opinions known is small(there are a few more events still to be held) to gauge public reaction... its 75% against. So it will be interesting to see if on this occasion with all the talk in the media there is about Tesco's succeeding every time, this time the project is rejected when it comes back to the council to say yes or no?

Anyone want to take a bet on the outcome?

My own town still awaits the next stage of its development to take place and I do wonder as Winter is just around the corner whether this will be delayed until next year.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gildy, havn't had time to read your blog properly yet, but I expect it's the usual council mess up.
On our local news they've just announced more savage cuts at Ipswich hospital to save money. It's appalling.

28 September 2006 at 14:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting developments, Gildy. I do hope they work out in your best interests. These sorts of changes/additions can bring inconveniences to some people. There's talk in my local paper of Manchester city council introducing a congestion charge in the city centre.

Looks like the message boards are down for maintenance, this is where blogs become even more useful :-)

28 September 2006 at 14:10  
Blogger Name Witheld said...

Where do you live, Gildy? The reason I ask is that I, too, am in the North East : Sunderland to be precise.

28 September 2006 at 14:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home