My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, February 03, 2013

Marty Wilde...

Well I wasn't disappointed...Only a couple of hours ago I was watching one of the original British Rockers of the music business. From what I overheard the show was scheduled to finish by 9.35pm and we were given another 25 minutes. Marty did the second half around an hour and his backing group The Wilde Cats did the first half approx 50 minutes.

We were treated to some great guitar music by the group and Marty sang many of his hits but also quite a selection of songs from the 50's and 60's sung by other performers of the time, he sounded as good now as all those years ago and live as opposed to on record.

And I hate to mention age but in a few months he will be 74 years old. I have remembered some of the songs that were featured in the show. He said that he would be doing 40 songs(He didn't)and perhaps what he meant was altogether adding in the work his backing band had performed earlier it came to that amount of songs...Be Bop A Lula, Somethin' Else, Johnny Remember Me, Hey Baby, Come On Lets Go, What Do You Want To Make Those Eyes At Me For, Last Train To Clarksville and numerous instrumentals.

I've had a think and Marty performed the following Endless Sleep, Rubber Ball, Sea of Love, Are You Lonesome Tonight, Jezebel, A Teenager In Love, Bad Boy, Halfway To Paradise, Rock Island Line, I Remember You, Only Sixteen, Summer Holiday, Ghost Riders In The Sky, The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Any More, Viva Las Vegas, Rawhide.

He was given a standing ovation...He admitted that he doesn't get the chance to visit the North East much but he was doing a trio of shows Fri-Sun South Shields, Durham and Whitley Bay but he has 22 dates for this year and a couple of shows even further North.

The life of an ageing rock n roller...word reached me that after the show, Marty was asking for a cup of tea and as I left, having difficulty getting one...it wasn't that late to be honest but in general most shops, cafés and takeaways are closed. In the city where the show took place, the only businesses doing any trade were the pubs and clubs which other towns around here are struggling.

I would hope that someone in the theatre was able to make him a tea.

I usually take something myself to drink and eat during a theatre show these days and I had a lucozade energy drink and a bottle of water. And for the first time I had taken a couple of small pots of Fromage Frais and it was not unlike having an ice cream in the interval.

And may do so again...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home