My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Soup...

Ok anything to do with food is personal. Ask anyone who has eaten Marmite, you love or hate it...that is the product's biggest selling point and has given it publicity and an advertising campaign that has lasted years.

I have always liked soup and but it was never(as far as I remember)something we ate a lot of. We probably had it the most when we were on holiday.

When having an evening meal in a reasonable formal setting.

Later due to medical reasons I avoided soup because of water retention but over recent years I have been able to eat it on a fairly regular bases. And if only eating a small bowlful(approx half a can)it isn't much anyhow.

I like most varieties and most manufactures are fine...Heinz and Baxters being the most readily available(other than a supermarket's own brand)

Therefore when I saw some fancy and rather upmarket soup on special offer I thought I would buy four cartons and I'd enjoy them(That we both would)

Now again I hasten to add that you may already like this product and someone must be buying it. Their website says it is the Nation's favourite fresh soup. To be fair I have given a link to their website and would say give them a go yourself. I may give some others a try as the website information suggests that there are some soups with less or no milk or cream in them and the problem may be that some supermarkets stock only a limited range of what is available.

I tried some of the range made by The New Covent Garden Food Company, the Chicken Soup variety...I ate it but disliked it, Mum ate some but left most of hers.

I tried a cauliflower and cheese variety today(fresh from a carton but the supermarket's own brand)after a couple of spoonfuls I poured it down the sink(I know Mum would not have enjoyed it, it reminded me of the chicken soup)and I guess in the end it is something about this use of lots of milk and/or cream that doesn't work for me. It contains too much for my taste buds.

I still have two to try Butternut Squash and Potato and Leek but I am not hopeful because they contain milk and/or cream which is a pity.

The recipe book the site refers to looks interesting as does some of their other products.

Unfortunately some of the website is not working correctly as I write and so some links are not connecting.

There is also a Facebook Site you can look at without having to sign up. Already I can see that there is a much larger range available so I will have a look and see what else I can find.

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

souper! The 'posh' soups contain tons of cream and are probably more calories and worse for you than a Big Mac.

19 April 2009 at 22:05  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I found them disgusting, I have to say and that's not their fault as they must be selling enough and have customers...this particular range is so dominated by cream, the soup seems like an after thought :-)

Locally, the range on the shelf seems limited...

20 April 2009 at 05:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home