My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, September 04, 2008

Good Simple Food...

Posted by Picasa
I have rediscovered whilst trying to improve my health the spirit to be adventurous. As times are tough I am also looking at ways to eat well but try and avoid the increase in food prices in the shops which has shot up considerably of late. And try and cut back on meals that are prepared which often expensive or if at a reasonable price they could have hidden ingredients and be high on salt, sugar and fat.
So tonight I had the following and how simple could this be.
  • Lean Lamb Mince
  • Mixed Vegetables
  • Diced Onion
  • Bisto Lamb Gravy Granules

In a small amount of Olive Oil fry off(browned)the Mince, in a saucepan have half a pint of water with Bisto Lamb Gravy Granules warming up with some Diced Onion in the gravy.

When the mince is cooked...put the Mince into the saucepan and let it simmer for approx 20-25 minutes...but in theory as the Mince was cooked you probably could cut this time but I think it allows the flavour of the gravy to soak into the Mince and vice versa. It softens the Onion too.

Approx 5 minutes before serving empty the can of Mixed Vegetables into the gravy.

Let everything to continue to simmer.

Pour the contents into a couple of bowls and serve immediately.

And so little preparation there was no requirement to use a slow cooker(often if you want something similar to a casserole)it's suggested you set it away before work and when you return home hours later, it's cooked.

It tasted so good and could be called either a soup or casserole. I could imagine on a cold Winter's Day this warming you up.

I had expected to cook and add vegetables to the meal. I rarely buy tinned vegetables but I remembered I had a can in the cupboard and it happened to contain Turnip, Potato, Carrot and Peas. So I drained off the brine and rinsed the contents in fresh water, drained again and added it to the saucepan.

But the surprise was that the vegetables were already diced into small squares so there was nothing to do. The only disappointment was that there were so few peas and they were not as good as I thought they could be so I added a few spoonfuls of Bird's Eye Frozen Petite Pois Peas and that made enough of a difference.

I reckon each portion cost no more than approx 80p($1.35 US Dollars)

Perhaps you'd like to give it a go...

(Some ingredients may have to be substituted for similar items if you live outside the UK)

4 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Lamb...hmmmmm
Lam mince...hmmmmm

One of my favourite dishes is lamb neck stew - it's quite a cheap cut but ever so tender and when stewed just falls to pieces...hmmmm

I tend to chuck everything (and anything) in together (one pan to wash and [sometimes] incredibly tasty...I'm sure it mirrors what these posh chefs do charging a fortune for avant garde dishes...

Follow up re the [nappy] cream (on previous post of yours) looking at the ingredients it is similar to E45 and sudocrem but much softer/runnier.

13 September 2008 at 09:56  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Hi Span...

Yes, I seem to remember having neck of lamb years ago and it tasted pretty good, I must look for it next time I'm shopping(Last time I was there I don't remember seeing any so maybe it's just popular)

I have a few more ideas on the food front of some tasty recipes to try out and...more sites that offer other dishes to try but as you have suggested, often you can adapt or find your own alternatives that are as good or better than what many so called food experts/chefs cook on tv or in their expensive books.

Pretty well anything works if thrown together in a pan.

I think the rash has improved considerably but they are good suggestions of your's and worth considering.

I have used E45 before and I do believe we have some Sudocream in the house. So they could be used now the Dr has suggested that's what the problem was and the cream he prescribed was for that. I suppose his initially was stronger.

All what's happening in the world I'm talking of food and nappy rash...what a combination...

13 September 2008 at 10:11  
Blogger Span Ows said...

...food and nappy rash: the wrong choice with the first one can cuase the second!

15 September 2008 at 09:01  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I'm still enjoying your blog even if I have yet to leave a comment again.

As for the above...perhaps you are right :-)

Guess what another cream has been mentioned(In the press)as to being available in the States that is very good for the above and dirt cheap but seemingly if you want it here you have to ask family and friends to send it over...

And yesterday I found some "Neck" of Lamb...whilst shopping so sometime soon I'll see what I can come up with as a tempting meal...

17 September 2008 at 09:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home