My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

One Becomes Two...

It's dull, it's grey, mostly wet and windy, You know the stories about how the landscape of the gardens around here have changed because of one new neighbour that moved in...next door. And how that is now virtually all covered in concrete, flagstones and cement...

Therefore, a lot of the wildlife that has existed for decades has disappeared.

However, as I write, there are many, many blackbirds popping into the garden and I suspect as the weather is still mild this means that unless we have a sudden cold snap...we could see quite a few young birds being born and possibly have a few broods over the year.

Today, every bit of seed that I have put out has been eaten, there is nothing left. I threw two pears out and they've been eaten too.

So just maybe this year will be fine. And things may pick up again. I really believe that we must work with the wildlife and live alongside it. So I try to put a variety of stuff out there and doing so, in general one speices of animal leaves one another alone and live alongside each other.

And here's the surprise...I know I have one squirrel living in a tree in my garden. Sometimes being very cold I have wondered if it could survive. A few years ago I saw a squirrel scoop up all the leaves that had fallen off trees in the autumn and somehow turn them into a drey(nest)this year that did not seem to happen but it has taken up residence so I assume it has made a comfortable home for itself.

There have been days where it has not be seen and I've thought just perhaps, it has succumbed to the coldness. Then, you notice some movement in the garden and it's there. As far as I know we only had the one. It seemed to be all on it's own.

But yesterday I saw it come of it's home and following behind was another.

They look exactly the same so maybe there always has been two but as they've not appeared together, I didn't know. Or just maybe they've found each other and become companions. And with two maybe they are keeping each other warm. You always feel happier somehow knowing that they have some company. Of course, if they are of both sexes, we may find some little ones as Spring arrives...Time will tell.

I do throw out a handful of peanuts in their shells which seems to keep them fed, I do wonder what else they eat as they only rarely touch any seed or fruit but they must be finding something.

Of course the Squirrels have to fight for the peanuts as when the crows are around they swoop down and take as many as they can in their beaks and fly off again. What was interesting yesterday was I saw a Great Tit(that's like a larger Blue Tit for those who don't know their birds)and a peanut in a shell must be heavy and almost the size of the bird itself but I saw one fly away carrying one in it's beak...twice. Taken back to it's nest or to be hidden away.

Usually, they like to hide sunflower seeds and you suddenly find a sunflower growing in flower tub or somewhere unexpectedly.

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

I know a lot has been made in the papers about the mild winter we are having but we do seem a little less forward than this time last year. I haven't heard any male frogs yet or seen any spawn, I'm just hoping they haven't all been killed off by this frog virus that is sweeping the country.

24 January 2008 at 23:38  
Blogger Span Ows said...

...more birds...more bugs...here it has hardly been winter at all and we're short of about a trillion gallons of rain (despite floods in some areas!!!)

Those squirrels...you can tell if they're different sexes by observing the way they handle the nuts.

25 January 2008 at 09:11  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I don't think that we are as far ahead this year and things are much as they are supposed to be...so that might tie in with your observations Paul.

As for you Span :-) I'll look out and see if I can verify your suggestion...

For any one interested that lives in the UK, it's the annual RSPB bird survey that takes place on Saturday or Sunday.

Forms are available in a number of magazines including the Radio Times or you can leave details on the RSPB website.

I have done this for a number of years but forgot last year. Hopefully, I'll remember this time. It only takes about an hour.

25 January 2008 at 14:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home