My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Save Our Town(2)

Update:A local freesheet(The Advertiser) has popped through my letterbox just a few minutes ago and amongst the coverage of the By-election and its emphasis on my town and playing on the "Save Our Town" aspect of the campaign even the Lib Dem candidate has echoed what I had said in my previous entry...

I quote:"The point of petitions is to raise controversial issues and demand action. This petition is not addressed to anybody, it doesn't demand any action and quite simply I'd ask what is the point of it? The problems and the neglect of the town centre are caused by Labour and have had the MP for over 70 years."

The only thing I may disagree on is mentioning that just because they've held the area for 70 years is why the town's retail centre is neglected. I'm sure that you can question and point to failings in any local area and any local party politics with any party point scoring against another and the people living in the area are the losers but as this town is relatively new and took off after the Second World War. I would say our problems started in the last 25-30 years and involves selling the centre off and large property companies based in London taking the tenancy over and lots of other business deals I am not privy to.

Had the town centre remained in local hands this redevelopment probably would've progressed(we'd hope)more smoothly and quickly. We'll never know of course.

We do have an Independent candidate who was a shopkeeper in the town and even he says(according to the newspaper article)that the attention on the town is Window Dressing to get an MP in parliament.

We have lost many shops over the years. And having visited his shop over the years business did drop considerably and then the building it was situated was to be demolished seemingly quite some time ago...that's still planned but as I write this...it's still standing, boarded up and falling into even greater disrepair.

I think I am right to say it's the last 25-30 years that the town has suffered as the paper quotes him as saying "Having a background of 27 years of vast experience running my own shop I have first hand knowledge of all issues and concerns relating to town centres."

I'm not sure that I have to abide by the same rules as broadcasters as views expressed in a blog are personal but I would hope on what I see as a news story I am unbiased.

However, I will list those candidates that are standing for fairness and to give you an idea of the range of political views being offered in this constituency. Of course there are the usual candidates that are unlikely to retain their deposits.

Bookies put the Conservative Candidate at the longest odds of the three main parties and Labour at the shortest so surprise, surprise the Lib Dem's are in the middle. Only 8 days to go...

Paul Gittins - Independent
Phillip Wilson - Labour
Graham Michael Robb - Conservative
Greg Stone - Liberal Democrat
Norman Scarth - Anti-Crime Party
Andrew Spence - British National Party
Tim Granger - Christian Party Proclaiming Christ's Lordship
Stephen Paul Gash - The English Democrats Putting England First Party
Alan Howling Laud Hope - Monster Raving Loony Party
Toby Horton - UK Independence Party
Christopher Michael Haine - Green Party

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Vote for Stephen

(whistle)

14 July 2007 at 01:25  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Yes, shouldn't we just...

BTW the government promotes healthy eating and goes on about Junk Food and obesity...the other day as I passed the new office where they plan the campaign, workers/volunteers were taking in meals from one the local takeaways next door...

14 July 2007 at 15:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home