My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Another Day, Another Political Story...

The dirtiest trick I have seen(locally)regarding flyers put out by any party in any election(and I am talking decades)has arrived the day before the election.I am saying this purely as an observer.Not because I support a particular party.

I do have my ideas but more than ever I do find it difficult to nail my colours to a particular mast.The flyer has been produced in the Lib Dem colours and the Lib Dem logo has been doctored.

It's full of statements from people only named as Glenda from and Local Resident Maxine said etc...One example being Jim from Newcastle who says "The Lib Dem candidate said he'd always put me first when he wanted my vote. Now he's saying the same thing in Sedgefield. You can't trust a word he says"

Even if this quote is true. You work for the people of the area you are successfully voted in as an MP. That's commonsense.

Initially, I said as I picked it up "It's another flyer from the Lib Dem candidate" That was the reaction they wanted. Then I realised it was a spoof. I was at a loss to see who had issued it.. I could not see any reference so thought its just someone that dislikes the Lib Dem's etc...and then in writing so small you need extremely good eyesight(or a magnifying glass)I am not sure it can be measured...I find it has been printed and promoted by the person who issues all the printed material for...The Labour candidate.

Its been put out so late(the day before the election)so the rival candidate has little or no chance to refute or answer back. As a voter this tactic would make me look to someone else or possibly decide not to vote.It is a nasty piece of work. It goes beyond spin. Its too late now but I really think the Lib Dem party needs to take this to the media and through any Parliamentary Standards procedure that exists to see it doesn't happen again.

I have no problem with things being brought up as fact and some things being slanted in a certain way but this isn't right. If needs be have a debate or discussion with your rival. But this is gutter politics. Follow this route and anything goes.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gildy, could this be classed as slander? Or because of who they are 'political' spin?

Well I hope that the voters who are undecided take this into account. Atrocious.

Good luck for tomorrow (nearly today)
Lxxx

18 July 2007 at 23:49  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I am sure that lawyers have scrutinised what was said and it can be allowed but it's "Not Nice" and to me I feel this is one of the things that can turn the public off politics and give "politicians" a bad name.

But here we are almost Lunchtime so approx 9 hours before the polling stations close.

Usually, this district has a result reasonably quickly and they are counted afterwards(even if it's a National election)but this year I have not heard whether the count is to be held the following day.

I cannot see any election specials in the local tv schedule. It may get a mention on one of the 24/7 news stations.

19 July 2007 at 11:38  
Blogger Linda Mason said...

It has been around for as long as there have been elections. Doesn't make it right I know but it isn't anything unusual or new either.

Many years ago, my Dad was secretary of the local labour club (good club btw) despite the fact that he has never voted anything but tory all his life. I think it might have been one of the 1974 general elections but he was delivered a rather glossy looking pamphlet in a plain brown envelope, that was just one big smear against Ted Heath. The reason I remember it so well is because I asked my Dad what a homosexual was. Nobody ever admitted to publishing it.

In 1979 the very hardworking and decent labour MP was shifted out in the GE that Maggie won and in no small part was this down to the most dreadul leaflet that was delivered to every house (funny that nobody knew who had delivered it let alone published it and this was a major operation) in the constituency making false accusations about said MP's earlier political activities and where his loyalties really lay. They also cast apersions against his good character. It was all then published but made decent for any potenital law suits by the local newspapers. One of the reasons I knew all of this was lies was because he was the brother of a good friend and those that knew him, knew that he was a decent and honest hardworking MP.

You don't get many of those to the pound!

20 July 2007 at 22:24  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Mags,
You are right of course. Such examples have always happened. That one flyer was the worst, the rest were mainly spin. I don't remember any other election in all the time I have been able to vote having so many leaflets through the letterbox from the candidates.

Sometimes a few from the same party on the same day.

Some candidates had no publicity or campaign.

Some managed only one leaflet but Labour and the Lib Dem's really out did themselves. Even delivering a leaflet only two and half hours before the polling station closed.

21 July 2007 at 15:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home