My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Serial Radio Callers...

Maybe, because "We" now have access to so many ways to get our views into the public domain and I'm actually doing this, I do wonder if I am any different.

Its just that, LBC(a commercial radio station)based in London, in the UK there has been discussion on a messageboard by listeners about the regularity of some some callers into the programmes on this station and I guess its true of many. The question is, if they did not call in...would anyone else? I listen but so far I have resisited the temptation to pick up the phone and luckily most the presenters on this station are so articulate they can talk for hours without any interaction from the public.

I suspect some callers become so well known, people listen out for them and some become like unpaid staff of the station. When they don't phone in, you wonder what's happened to them. Sad eh?

LBC has(or presenters have)come to an agreement with some callers, obviously they are paid or phone in for free as characters and play out a comedy role or do something to provoke "Real" callers to call in. Barry from Watford is a character played by an actor/comedian(and has his own website) Another regular who is missing these days was a man who'd appear and sing "Hey Little Hen"

I have noticed that some call in to virtually every programme and that's not over days but sometimes one programme after another, LBC has a caller called Louise from Barnsley. She has a very broad accent and is not particularly clear when she speaks. Many presenters have difficulty understanding what she says. She's seems pleasant enough but dare I say that I'm not sure that she manages to add anything of interest and it depends more on the skill of the presenter to make the call worthwhile. But we do know that she is around 18 years of age and that she is desperate to get into broadcasting and in particular radio. That she has or is attending a media course at University and has done a little bit of work experience for a little radio station based in the South but mainly heard only on satellite. The impression given is that all she was doing was answering the phone to the public and similar tasks.

She wants to be a DJ...there's a surprise. I wonder why she hasn't tried to get into Hospital Radio as a way into the business so many broadcasters have and still do. The way radio is going in the UK she could just do it.

It would appear that she is also phoning practically any station that's on air as its been noted that she was phoning into a station in Manchester the other night which isn't even available unless you live in the station's area or download a podcast/stream via the net. I suppose its filling some need within her...she's not doing any harm. Originally, I said so far I have not heard her tonight but within an hour of saying this...she was on the airwaves again. I think I can safely say she will be on again later tonight and tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Blogger ja said...

Gilds, I think most, if not all radio stations (local, national) have regular callers. Carl from Plaistow, Damian from Brighton, Diana from Finchley are all regulars on Galloway's radio show. Sounds like Louise, as you explain, is trying to get a foot in the door of radio broadcasting. Perhaps she can turn into the female radio equivalent of Parkinson lol.

11 March 2007 at 22:38  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Ja,
I had to laugh as I read your comment, Louise was on air again. I am sure you are right what you say.

There is a caller(if she can be believed)who phones in LBC but through listening to Talksport a bit more often she calls in there too.

I don't know if she's genuine or a character(though she claims)she's on Trisha soemtime soon.

She claims to be in her 80's but she is overly sexed. And lets you know it. She breaks the listeners and presenter's up but they have to keep their finger over the dump button ready to cut her off in case she goes too far.

LBC is a London station but available nationwide and Talksport is available nationwide but is still thought of by many as London centric so I guess many living in the capital see both as local stations.

Because many well known celebs live and work in the capital, its quite easy for a radio station to attract people that stations across the UK would love to have on their staff.

London stations often sound like national stations.

I used to think this was a good thing but quite often presenters around the UK can be of a higher standard.

12 March 2007 at 00:32  
Blogger ja said...

The 'overly sexed' caller sounds real fun but she's in her 80's you say, wow. I wonder how often she is cut off, when she crosses that line of decency.

12 March 2007 at 19:26  
Blogger Mutterings and Meanderings said...

When I worked in radio, we had regulars who'd call every day but we didn't put them on air every day because that would've sounded like there was no one else calling. The same with competitions - there was one woman who used to call up for every single one.

18 March 2007 at 16:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home