My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Who Is Frank Sidebottom?

Posted by Picasa

To be honest, its been some years since I asked that question. Its been years since I have seen him on television and sad to say sometimes people are forgotten and suddenly come to mind. The truth is if they are no longer seen on television, you wrongly tend to think that they are no longer in the business when often they are doing fine, thank you very much.

I don't listen but came across Iain Lee on LBC last week and discovered Frank was to be a guest, I became distracted and forgot about his appearance and missed him and then discovered that he was to appear on Channel M. I don't know what it is either but a quick search on the web, it appears to be a channel that is for and promotes the Manchester region and every Friday at 10pm(with repeats)he has been given his own programme again, I am hoping that I can watch again and that it is carried on satellite, otherwise I suppose it will only be seen on cable in Manchester.

Frank is a cult(I think that's the term)I seem to remember him doing programmes in 1980's and then...I lost track. Then, suddenly he was there on screen last evening on Channel4 taking part in Paul O'Grady's programme with national coverage. I dare not hazzard a guess at how old Frank is...age is only a number and Frank doesn't look a day over...

There is another cult in the Manchester/Blackpool area who pull in large crowds where ever they appear. That's misleading in that they are a creation of Buzz Hawkins and they have a series of recordings available, some radio stations play them as a comic insert and they often go on tour. They are The Bradshaws, a family comprising of Audrey, I'm having a senior moment(I forget the name of the male character)and their son Billy. They have to be heard to be believed :-)

If you get the chance they do have a site on the net as does Frank.

Take a look sometime.

Frank Sidebottom

Frank Sidebottom

7 Comments:

Blogger ja said...

The Bradshaws is very good, they have a slot on a Sunday Morning show on BBC Radio Manchester. I checked it up, the fathers name is Alf, his wife is always having a pop at him. The son is hilarious too, they all use their accent to great effect. I've not seen or heard from the Frank Sidebottom character for ages on tv/radio, we don't have Channel M so can't watch his show on there.

30 November 2006 at 18:48  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

I'm glad you're signed in to our new Message Board now! Any chance of a highly visible link?

30 November 2006 at 18:50  
Blogger Name Witheld said...

In the late seveties my wife (I hadn't met her at the time) went to a party at Frank Sidebottoms house in Sheffield.

Piece of useless information No. 649.

1 December 2006 at 12:38  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I have been starting to look around my Stellite platform more and found quite a few things I did not know existed including concerts and programmes meant for other areas out of my region and meant for other home countries. It appears I am able to get Channel M. A channel specifically aimed at the Manchester region) Frank's is available on line(I don't think it will work well on dial up which I have :-(

But it gets a few repeats over the week, only having started last week I believe(10pm Fridays)

Shy, I am impressed, so your wife could spill the beans as to who he is :-)

As I said, if he was doing this character in the 1970's FS has been around a long time...I wish I had seen more of his television work, its daft humour of course it is but today I wish that there was more of it.

1 December 2006 at 16:51  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I tried his show...he's managed to keep this character going for I would guess 30 years+ to be honest,it was utter tripe. Yesterday he had David Soul in the studio.

BTW Channel M seems to be a cable/satllite station for the North West of England and most of it looked cheap.

I was surprised to see the news output being done by Andy Crane(someone may remember him for Children's programmes in the 70's and 80's)and ex Sky new presneter who was on many stations over her career called Heather Scott. I had to do a double take to believe if it was her or not.

2 December 2006 at 21:42  
Blogger The Stoat said...

It's definately a Manchester thing, like the Bradshaws and John flaming Shuttleworth. I recall Martin Kelner on the BBC North Night Network (listening on Radio York at the time) wittering on about all three in the early 90s and I didn't find any of them funny then.

PS. Worked with Andy Crane in my dim and distant past. Nice bloke.

3 December 2006 at 18:59  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Hello Stoat ;-)
I am amazed how many people have been around listening to Martin Kelner's programme in years past. You'll also remember him carrying Caroline Aherne as Mrs Merton before she was picked up and given her own chat show.

I think The Bradshaws is the one out of those mentioned that has the most creativity.

Andy Crane does seem to be under used but a nice person. I thought him very good in that children's Saturday Morning programme with Yvette Fielding(Senior moment I forget its name)he's just finished a stint on LBC Sunday mornings I assume to go to this M Channel.

3 December 2006 at 19:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home