My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The BBC On The Naughty Step

Remarkably, I see the BBC a little like a member of my family that needs scolding occasionally. In many cases I still like what the BBC does radiowise and compared to much of what is available across the world it can be said it is worth the investment the licence fee allows.

Another time, I may argue and discuss whether a guarantee of money coming in annually works for or against them. Also, in general it is public broadcasting but thanks to various operations away from these shores and productions shown on commercial television and radio abroad with a BBC logo attached and programmes now shown on commercial satellite channels that they have sold the programmes to or perhaps have a stake in for all I know a reputation built up over the years, it is supplementing its finances from the commercial world. Not forgetting the books, tapes and video's associated with programmes that air on the BBC. In some ways that is adapting to a modern business model.

A double edged sword being that if they make their own shows(good or bad)they are insular but equally if they commission a programme from an independent company or that company pitches an idea to the BBC can it truly be said to be a BBC programme because a logo is added to the Beginning and end credits? This quota of using independent producers I seem to remember was a Government idea forced upon the BBC years ago.

I seem to have an inkling the use of independent production companies was introduced during a time that there was only 4 stations broadcasting BBC1, BBC2, ITV1 and Channel4. With all the channels available in the UK now there are plenty of alternative broadcasters for independent companies to take their ideas to so maybe this forcing of certain broadcasters to use them should be taken away. With the provision that the BBC can continue to do so if it should wish to which is different to saying here is the quota that you must commission. I digress as I often do.

As I said earlier, I see it as a family member that I am generally proud of but it needs scolding but if anyone else comes along and does so suddenly I feel that I want to defend it, that's ok to criticise if you are a relative but woe betide anyone else doing so.


But recently I have actually bothered to see what they are offering not just via local radio alongside the national and National digital services but via satellite what is being offered to the people of Wales, Scotland and N.Ireland via Television and Radio. And there are some wonderful programmes of high quality being produced admittedly with a slant towards and patriotism for the people living in that part of the UK but for all that most of the schedule allows them to get the best of or all the output seen in England sometimes on another day or delayed by an hour. My point being that some of these programmes are worthy of being seen across the UK. But as often the opt out part of the schedule is the same everywhere so I am lucky to see some of these but have to decide which as you can only watch the one you have chosen.


Finally, my point...we know that BBC Television and BBC Radio 5 are promoting the annual Sports person of the year and they've moved it to NEC in Birmingham and offered tickets to the public so they can attend rather than the few in BBC television centre. However, a trailer came on before or after a programme on BBC Wales last night and I never knew this(is it a new thing or has this gone on for years?)


Posted by Picasa

Another series that ex-toles the Welsh but is worthy of being seen across the whole of the UK.

On the other hand for all the great things the BBC still manage to produce and deserve praising for anyone who has been following recent events that many of us have been having on their website with many messageboards closing at short notice and how some of us even when being positive are finding our posts being removed and there is now no longer the chance to have a kind of re pore with your other posters. You also have no idea which posts will be allowed to remain on the site as one host or mod seems to have a different idea of what is allowed.

So I am afraid that our blogs and newly started sites will be more important and the way many of us will be able to stay in touch and hopefully other posters will find there way and join us and we'll be able able to say much more than we are able now. Plus we will not have the annoying software that means that you cannot respond immediately, on the BBC boards even if you wish to type one line of text you have to wait for about three minutes before you are able to post again.

11 Comments:

Blogger Curmy said...

On the Naughty Step Gildy ? they're in the Doghouse !

30 November 2006 at 09:20  
Blogger Rupe said...

Gildy, this entire post of yors is typical of your knowledge and your total kindness.

I am not like you, sad to say.
I hate the BBC, I hate the bloody system they have over there which reminds me of Mr. Alistair Campbell,
and Himmler.
How dare they behave so callously.
I am so angry and upset that I can hardly see straight.

Sorry for the blast.

I'm going to take some painkillers.

30 November 2006 at 13:39  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Blast away Rupe,
My post was written and the messageboard bit added on...

Its a love hate relationship with the BBC, different departments work well and others are so arrogant with a "We" know better attitude. ITV may get the kick up the behind that it needs, we need someone to keep a check on how Sky may affect the future of broadcasting.

Ump, I think you are probably nearer the mark with your take on the messageboard situation.

I could half accept that it is costly to run them but the way they run them seems to have no uniform attitude so some posts get removed by one host one day, another leaves them up. Often posts that are not "nasty" are removed and yet those you think would be removed stay on the site. The points of view seems heavily monitored, overly monitored and though they say talk of many subjects and we want your views so many posts are pulled.

Another reason given for the closure is they cannot monitor what is a like chat room and all the work it entials but what does it cost to send all the e-mails to posters suggesting it was removed because it broke house rules but then they ask you to post the same comment again but said slightly differently.

They often give themselves more work than they need.

I have seen some boards remaining that are still with the pleasant atmosphere and banter of Radio 5's station board and they say there is no threat that their board will close or change, do you really believe that?

I know that I do not.

30 November 2006 at 14:36  
Blogger Rupe said...

I don't believe anything those creeps say.

Off with their heads,
...and I mean it.

30 November 2006 at 14:41  
Blogger carrie said...

Here I am, I think!

Typically sweet natured talk from Gildy. I am very angry but do you know what? It is so typical of the BBC that although I shall continue to try to post on the POV site, I bet many more will end up here.
Love to everyone, carrie x

30 November 2006 at 14:48  
Blogger Rupe said...

Dear Carrie, well done ....seeing you are over here has cheered me up. I have to go to lie down now, as I am tired and emotional, love from Rupe x x x x
Come to my bloggy, just press on the cat photo'.

30 November 2006 at 15:12  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Carrie,
You are most welcome and a star for managing to work out how to get a blogger account and find me and the rest of us.

No waiting to post a comment and you can say more or less whatever you wish and...anytime of the day of night.

Also, you've arrived at the right time as Gaving Corder has launched a new forum so you can post messasges like you used to over at the official boards.

I am having difficulty logging in at present but will in time...have a look...

New Board for Radio 5'ers and other topics

30 November 2006 at 15:25  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has been total mayhem.

Radio 4 has so many boards going for example that are not heavily modded (I don't post there) and also Radio 2.

I think the decision to close The Station was because the comments hit a nerve.

But I still cannot get over the utter disdain in which the hosts treated us all in the way they closed it down.

1 December 2006 at 00:21  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Hello Again Sarnia,
Did you notice that Peta on the POV board when someone said they wanted to complain(might've been Curmy)she said the boards are run by the Music Radio people. Seems strange that they run boards without a remit of music.

Now I think about it the first and posibly only time I posted over at the Radio 2 board when I first tried boards out, my post removed and I looked at what wasbeing allowed over there and just as at the POV board I could not see why mine was removed but others far stronger in content remained on the site.

I'm not sure they really know themselves.

And you may've seen an interesting comment from Peta who has kept saying the POV board is safe that changed tonight now its, as far as she knows the POV board is safe and not likely to change, that sounds a bit like retracting an earlier statement...

I think you said that you were coming to the mainland this weekend, have a safe journey, The weather seems rough this weekend.

1 December 2006 at 00:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello...I am 'message-from-Dee' from R5L exStation MB - and I appear to have found you, via Isobel's blog (Thank you!) - a minor miracle given my technophobia. Although I am supposing here that this message actually appears of course :-/

3 December 2006 at 18:06  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Hello Dee,
Good to have you along and I hope finding us wasn't too bad...

Hopefully, you'll recognise many faces from Radio 5's station board and feel at home.

Hope that you enjoy the blogs(and we do not frighten you off ;-)

We're quite a nice bunch if I say it myself...and through Sarnia, myself and few others we now have links to a new forum/messageboard similar to what radio 5 was doing on the Station board and another for anyone who used the Science and Nature Boards. These can be found on our blogs but I'll out links below to make things easier.

There's no waiting to post on either of these boards, you can leave a comment immediately after another and so far nothing is off topic. We do not necessarily agree with each other all the time but it works because...we respect each other. So read anything you wish and by all means...join in...

Within three or four days between the two forums there are approx 130 members.

Some others have found their way here and some old posters that I have not seen in years(but have been reading I suspect)have also returned.

Take Care

Gildy xx

PS Now you have a profile you can of course share our blogs and forums and leave it at that or may decide to have a blog of your own. If we can help at all just ask.

Radio 5 Forum


Science And Nature Boards

3 December 2006 at 19:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home