My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Tis The Season To Be Jolly...

The first seven pictures here show the Christmas lights(there are more but they are the same)in the older part of the town perhaps they look better as it gets darker and my settings on these images were sharper and better...until they were posted but you get an idea.

Some move so, the pictures below sometimes appear to show one that has failed but they are all working...the green illuminations that have lots of little lights are the most effective in our centre.




Posted by Picasa





Then we come to the view you get of the new developement as you walk from the older part of town as seen in an earlier blog entry.

We have to go from left to right in a sense.

Posted by Picasa

The block featured in picture eight above contains an optician, the Lloyds TSB I mentioned down the side of this building is a solicitor, Argos and Job Centre. Though again as you can see a retail unit is still unoccupied.

But if you look in images nine, ten and eleven this is the side of Tesco's premises and you'll see that its all open and cosmetically it looks like a factory.






Even a brick wall to block this view would look much better. At least the building that has the other retailers looks tidier and the bricks make it look acceptable.


Posted by Picasa

The final image above is taken between the building that has the bank, Argos etc...and in the distance the front of Tesco's supermarket but you can see the same side has retail units that are still empty. I also did not have time to read the public notice in detail but get the opinion that Tesco's have applied for permission to erect more illuminated signs around the site. It can siad that the notice is there for all to see but its attached to a lampost in an area easy to miss.

You may also notice that thought the older part of the town has errected Christmas lights that the affluent and newer area still has no festive decoration whatsoever.

8 Comments:

Blogger ja said...

Gildy, thanks for sharing the photos. I like the decorations. Manchester's town hall has a giant Father Christmas perched on top of it, you've given me an idea to take a photo of it and post it ;)

25 November 2006 at 23:33  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I'd like to see them JA,
Sorry that the photo's came out darker even though I lightened them and added contrast which usually works but to get them all into one entry is such a job so to re do the post...I'll pass this time ;-)

I am quite positive about the lights and it really would not take much to upgrade the older part of town and if the right shops could be attracted there is enough business. What needs replacing most is a little bit of carpentry that because of the age of the buildings has become rotten. The actual buildings are quite solid. I suspect that the retailers are finding business hard so they feel its not upto them to do the work and the Landlord's who could afford to do the work having taken money over many years seem to have dragged their feet(allegedy)

I like my town and considering that I have spent best part of my life within a few hundred yards of my home I want to be proud. Perhaps that's a reason why we criticise. We hope that it will result in things being improved.

Of course, that's not to say that if circumstances were different I might happily relocate. Years ago if money had allowed I liked Bournemouth, Christchurch(Paul lives there) Sandbanks and many places on the South Coast. But I like where Curmy lives too in the Suffolk area.

I guess there are many places we would consider. We have to look at the positives, here there is a lot of countryside and historic areas within a few miles.

25 November 2006 at 23:51  
Blogger ja said...

Your photos are fine, when the natural light on an overcast day is lacking then it does usually affect the lighting in the photo. As I was writing about the Santa on the town hall, I remembered reading that it will be the last year for him as he'll be replaced by lights. This will be the last opportunity then to take photos. Here's the link to the story.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/229/229138_town_hall_santas_last_christmas.html

26 November 2006 at 13:51  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Well, it would appear that the council are being sensible over the situation and are keeping Santa even if in a more modern way, so that is good to know and a possitive story for once ;-)

If you have not been over to the story, it is an inflatable model at present but next year will probably be one made up of lights.

26 November 2006 at 15:49  
Blogger Curmy said...

Gildy, I particularly liked the photos of the stars.
Some of Colchester's Christmas decorations blew down the other day, so they're rapidly checking them all.

26 November 2006 at 19:47  
Blogger raisins said...

Hi Gildy.

We have lovely Christmas lights in my local high street and they put simple lights around the battlements of the Abbey which is incredibly effective. I will endeavour to get a picture and post it here.

27 November 2006 at 15:59  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I can put it on my blog credited to you if you e-mail it otherwise it will probably have to be posted on your blog. It will have to be posted as a new entry if put on here.

Sounds lovely...

I've just been thinking...where's my town's Christmas Tree?

We used to have a beautiful tree in the town centre. Then it was moved outside the centre in front of a COE church for years...I'll have a look next time I am in the area.

One year the weather was so bad it was damaged and another year it was vandalised but most years it is ok. I'll see if any lights have been fastened to the lamposts around the main arterial road that rusns through the town too, they usually are...

27 November 2006 at 16:44  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Span,
Why didn't I think of that. Me, of all people suggesting a brick wall instead trees and the like.

If Tesco's are unable plant some surely the council could, also they should be a reasonable size already rather than thin weedy things...

I'm trying to remember if these are the same lights as last years and if some are new, which are they exactly. If you want to picky its alright with me ;-)

28 November 2006 at 00:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home