My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Monday, November 27, 2006

LBC Listener Survey

Some visiting the soon defunct Radio 5 Station Board may've seen that I was approached by LBC to take part in a survey, I rarely do surveys but as I listen I thought why not....
The questions were easy and it took seconds to complete.

Examples of questions...

A list of presenters names, How often you listen in a day, how important radio is to you, a list of alternative stations you listen to...

The possibility that you could be chosen to attend a discussion group at LBC(travel costs paid for)the fact that I am in the North East of England, its not likely I'll get called up and only 12 people are invited(or is that vetted?)

Even less likely to be asked as the event takes place on Wednesday evening and to travel 200+ miles one way...hopefully the answers in the survey are enough.

However, the joy of having LBC available via DAB and Satellite across the country is lessened in the fact that changes to the line up are planned as the new year approaches(naturally it comes down to personal likes/dislikes)hence surveys and focus groups but some presenters are being kept on that I would let go, others are being promoted and some are leaving.

Happily Steve Allen, Nick Abbott and Anna Reaburn, the saviours of the station are staying.
Unfortunately, Paul Ross is getting a weekday afternoon slot(we know what we get with his brother already so that's a no no for me)James O'Brien reminds me of Stephen Nolan(BBC Radio 5/Radio Ulster)so he's a no go area. Every station has to have one.

Having a Sony Radio Award is not necessarily proof of a quality broadcaster. He has a style that I find difficult to like. He seems to enjoy ridiculing callers and though it may be done to get a reaction, I find that it just gets my back up. Hence my comparison with Nolan though the technique of Nolan is to shout and/or set callers against each other and O'Brien does it in a different way the result is much the same.

The best and calmest of the overnight presenters Marcus Churchill is leaving either by choice or otherwise.

Out of the remainder some are ok for dipping into but not must listen radio for me. Carol McGiffen and Nick Ferrari can hold a decent programme together though Nick's breakfast slot mixed with commercials and news and sport every 15 minutes with commercials does sound hurried.

I am hoping we have lost Iain Lee who thinks he is a comedian but I really wonder what he says over a three hour programme that is clever, witty or funny. Definitely an acquired taste. I think he is fine as a presenter and works better on television.

So why do I rate Allen, Abbott and Raeburn?

They are able to speak and engage their brains before opening their mouths. They can do serious as well as funny. There is intelligence there. Allen, though scathing is often making comments that are tongue in cheek. And has 30+ years broadcasting experience. Abbott is able to take a sideways look at the world without being snide or really horrible to callers but like Allen can manage to hold down a programme with or without listener contact. Raeburn, well she is about the only Agony Aunt(I hate that term as I know she does)that I rate as knowing what she is talking of and bothering to find out if she is unsure. Few if any come anywhere near this broadcaster.

To some extent the tweaking of the LBC schedule is probably because they are competing with TalkSport/BBC Radio 5's audience to some extent. And sometimes you change things to avoid being stale or where I think you try to be better than competitors, sometimes those in charge of a station feel that to emulate the competition is a better strategy which I question as then we get more of the same.

Because many in the business are now free lance it is amazing how many BBC/LBC presenters are interchangeable and are often on BBC6 Music when doing music and then speech on the London station. The connection between BBC/Commercial Radio is probably less noticeable around the UK but anyone in London might be confused or quite used to hearing the same voice coming at them from both the BBC and what is a rival broadcaster.

So having LBC as an alternative may be a little less enjoyable for the time being. Of course it could me who is out of step and I may discover that it does well in the Rajar figures over coming months.

Here's something else that I found in the press, apologies, I've forgotten where, The BBC is said to be leading the radio listening figures on analogue radio but commercial radio is leading the way with those who own a DAB radio. Is this because of the choice of broadcasters or the age range of those who have so far purchased a receiver? I have not seen anything about that aspect of the statistics.

Time will tell...

As for surveys...they must be like buses as I have not seen or been asked to fill one in for years or for an opinion and suddenly I had three attempts by the Country Council to answer one, this week another from the Borough Council asking the same questions as the County Council, why am I suddenly so popular?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home