My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, October 27, 2006

When The Red Red Robin...

Look...you know that the following pictures fuzzy and I know that they are(if ever I needed an excuse to invest in a better camera) but it isn't helped by the fact that I had to take this through double glazing as well.


But if nothing else it proves that I do have at least one robin that is still visiting my garden regardless of the changes my neighbours have made that has affected how many and the variety of birds that once visited my nature reserve.

Posted by Picasa
I don't always see it...but I do hear it. I have never managed to have one nest in my garden but the frequency of its appearence suggests that it must be living not too far away.

And yes, the collared doves have returned as well, not as regularly as before but a couple of times daily I do sometimes have nine landing at once. So they seem to have formed a little community or are perhaps all part of one family. They are quiet, cause no mess or trouble.

Simple things really do give the most pleasure.

8 Comments:

Blogger Rupe said...

Gildy, your picture of the Robin is just lovely. The glass in between you and the bird has worked, just like a dream.
Thanks, it has cheered me a lot.
xxxrupexxx

27 October 2006 at 17:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gildy, I'm so glad the robin has come back,hopefully if you put food out, the birds will start returning in ever increasing numbers.
I think you've got some trees at the bottom of your garden.
Hopefully, your shrubs will start growing soon.

27 October 2006 at 21:18  
Blogger Linda Mason said...

Simple pleasures are indeed the best. I'm happy for you Gildy that the bird life is thriving. I think mid summer is a quiet time for birds in the garden due to the abundance that mother nature provides elsewhere.

Good for you.

27 October 2006 at 23:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice pics, the Robin looks at ease in your garden.

I've just read the thread on the FiveLive board, if Curmy wants to get in direct contact with someone who can help, this is a useful email: fivelive.hosts@bbc.co.uk

28 October 2006 at 10:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gildy, sorry to hichjack your blog, but thanks for putting that message on the 5 boards. For anyone who reads this,
I've no idea why I've been restricted. I'ts very annoying.

28 October 2006 at 10:50  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Not all Curmy,
And some ideas are coming forward, lets hope the problem is solved and soon.

JA, Curmy thanks you for your suggestion...

There is one window where I may get a better photo of the birds if they stay long enough for me to get there...yesterday I tried to and they disappeared before I could get there...otherwise it is a new camera time.

I haven't had much chance to talk about the birds that visit and my garden as I used to...thank you for your interest.

My friend Mango in Essex who I owe a long e-mail tells me that she has 30-60 gold finches visiting regularly.

I am so envious...I rarely get them in my garden and usually at best a handful.

So much for offering the best food...

28 October 2006 at 14:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love robins. I've just spent the last 20 minutes, elbows propped on kitchen sink, looking out at the patio bit of the garden and seeing my regular robin visitor.

Earlier this pm I put out a super bird feeder thing - four poles pushed together and then shoved into the ground with brackets for about 4 feeders and a bird bath.

1 November 2006 at 16:54  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I have thought about having one of those stands in my garden, next door have helped make my garden quieter and less protected :-(

The neighbours conservatory is being built so the noise doesn't help for now...

A few times in recent days I positioned myself to get pretty good pictures of the doves all in the garden together feeding and just when I am ready they get spooked and fly away or into the trees which makes them too far away for the camera even with zoom lens facility. And the Robin came down the other day offering a better picture and then a dove landed so it disappeared.

One of these days...

2 November 2006 at 00:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home