My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Friday, November 03, 2006

Does Anyone Care About Awards Anymore?

Well, someone must if we are to believe the spin put out by Sir Trevor McDonald last evening during that terrible National Television Awards taking up two hours on the main ITV channel and would love to see the ratings for that. Surely it doesn't help ITV attempt to reverse it ill fortune.

Sir Trevor quoted that the awards were collected from the public filling in forms printed in the Sun Newspaper, Heat Magazine and a phone line or text number. So how many were counted? 1.8 Million. Now, considering that we have approx 60 Million people living in the UK that's not many. My arithmetic is not good but I figure it coming in at approx 2% of the population.

And of course its subjective because they don't say "Choose the programmes or artists that you wish" They choose a selection of four of five nominations so you have to pick one of them or not bother.

Naturally, I am going to say that Sir David Attenborough deserved his award but having people such as Nikki and the rest from Big Brother! No, I'm not even going to say that I object to populist culture being a winner but I have seen enough of BB to say that there is not one person that I like or would want to know and do they deserve their fame.

Posted by Picasa

And who on Earth are the people who attend this awards event each year, all you hear every time an excerpt from a television programme is played, a name is mentioned or everything that anyone says even of no value, you can hear screaming and hollaring for the whole two hours.

You can argue that the Academy Awards are no better and they too have too narrow a remit as a certain selection is chosen to be voted on but none of them seem to mean anything these days because they have these events at the drop of a hat.

And yet, I really think although even in the Oscars early days there would be arguments as to who deserved them, the actors of that time really did seem to be stars and few if any these days really deserve their fame.

I like to think that the genuinely talented still get through and rise to the top of the heap. And they become more special because they are so few.

Rant Over ;-)

4 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Hi Gildy, on the subject of awards my bosses son in law has to go to the Oscars each year as he is responsible for collating the votes. His job on the night is to move the celebs around the auditorium so the hall looks full for television purposes.

3 November 2006 at 19:38  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Paul,
They certainly know how to do awards shows in the US and though they probablyhave as many people these days that are non deserving, they probably still by quota or ratio have more people that could be seen as celebrities.

I once heard what the celebs get in a kind of "Lucky Bag" for attending the event or the parties that follow. Wish I could remember what, I did hear a while back...its expensive jewellery, cars etc...and it seems at the last BAFTA awards over here, the organisers tried something similar for the American guests that came here to present or hope that they may win an award(I seem to remember some being given holidays in very exclusive places abroad)just to attend...again my memory fails me.

Yes, I have heard that when a celeb wants to go to the toilet or is on stage or wherever they move someone into the empty seat so the place looks full and better for the viewers at home. The tricks these tv executives get up to eh? ;-)

3 November 2006 at 21:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gildy, I couldn't bring myself to watch it !

3 November 2006 at 22:02  
Blogger Mister Frost said...

I saw a programme on E4 the other week called Princess Nikki starring the BB loon and was astonished. I have never seen an entertainment programme that featured someone so utterly dysfunctional. It was the TV equivalent of popping down to Colney hatch in the 19th century. She doesn't need a TV contract she needs a psychiatrist.

6 November 2006 at 22:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home