My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, December 08, 2011

Strange Anniversaries...

Today in 2008 Mum went along the landing to the toilet...it was around 8am.

It was a horrible Winter's Day and dark...somehow within minutes Mum was at the bottom of the stairs. Half asleep did she take the wrong direction, stumble, faint, lose her balance? We'll never know.

I managed to get her back to bed but by night we knew she had seriously damaged herself.

She had crushed a vertebrae. Remarkably we got Mum over that and they were happy with her progress.

Almost a year later she rolled out of bed and managed to break her right hip. Again, any other time she probably would've been lucky but...they fixed it and again Mum came home...

And now the big fight of her life, hopefully outliving, fighting, beating or living with cancer(and all the possible treatments and visits to to hospital to see how its progressing)and wondering how long she has with it or if its slow how long before natural causes takes Mum away. This is probably the most worrying of all that has happened so far though we thought the other two were pretty bad.

One thing I started to do from the first incident is leave a light switched on above the landing switched on all night which shines into all the bedrooms if we leave the doors open and I always will leave that light on.

When I am in my own bedroom I usually leave the bedside lamp on all night and I sleep fine.

I've switched the lights off to see what it used to be like and I find it hard to believe that we used to sleep with no lights on. The difference is amazing.

Its a pretty awful day weather wise today here in the North East of England but nowhere as bad as what Scotland has been experiencing.

And as I add a few lines at the end of the day, it is so cold that even with the central heating on the bedroom is cold and we are needing some extra blankets to stay warm...and I'll worry about the cost later, the heating is staying on overnight.

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

More surprising is how our lives are almost never in total darkness. The night sky, moon stars etc, street lighting and all the rest mean we are rarely in blackout; that said if it stops accidents who cares if there's a light on. You can sleep in the day/on a bus/in a classroom so there should be no worries sleeping in a bed but with a sidelight on.

9 December 2011 at 09:39  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

That's a very good point Span. Its only since all this happened and I have compared the difference of leaving lights on or off I find myself wondering why there aren't more accidents in the home overnight and why more people don't leave at least on light on or those night lights where they plug into a socket and kind of map a route say perhaps to the toilet(so you can see your way if you are half asleep or confused)

9 December 2011 at 12:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home