My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Costly Mistake...

I'm sure it is genuine error but that doesn't help me...

Mum has to spend a lot of time laying down(if you read through my previous posts)you'll know Mum broke a bone in her back late 2008 and then approx 9 months later broke a hip.

So I thought I'd invest in an mp3 player and a docking station...

That way I could put a selection of music or radio programmes for her to listen to and I can change the selection and Mum has lots to listen.

However, though happy with the mp3 player...the docking station was so quiet it was useless, also if you let go of the player when it was attached to the docking station, you could not hear a thing.

So I returned it today not for refund but another docking station which is more powerful and slightly more expensive but my local branch of Argos was not expecting any in for a few days so I asked for a refund.

I think you can guess what's coming...

The assistant was so busy sorting out the receipts and reserving me another docking station at another branch in a neighbouring town when she asked for 3p to round up the amount to give me, she put the 3p in the till but did not get the £30 out to give to me and was quickly onto someone else.

She insists that she did. I asked for the till to be checked, it was out by £20 so errors have already been made today but as it was not £30 they don't believe they are wrong and that they did not give me my money.

I only had 3 pockets in my trousers and I had not even got around to putting money into my wallet(if I had been given it)because that was in some carrier bags with shopping and I know how I had my money arranged.

But it's their word against mine so they not only have the docking station but also my money!

They've taken my name and telephone number(written on a piece of paper which will probably be lost somewhere)and they say at the end of the week if they find that they are out by £30 they will be in touch.

If they are I'll be the first to say so here but I'm not holding my breath. I've worked in retail and I can see it from both sides.

Unfortunately, in the end, you start to doubt yourself.

The moral is to pay more attention and be sure to check your change.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Northstar said...

A reputable retailer should and would refund your money, Gildy, in the interests of retaining you as a customer. That this store did not attests to its woeful customer relations. Unfortunately, if the saleswoman were scamming you, she could have pocketed your money.

You might want to consider another visit to the store. Demand to speak with the store manager or whoever is in charge and politely but firmly state your case. Good luck.

3 July 2010 at 22:28  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I had not walked out of the store or moved more than perhaps 2 or 3 feet from the counter or put my hands into any pocket on my person(now I am thinking about it there is probably CCTV in the shop)

I haven't mentioned it to Mum as I suspect she would be upset.

I will have to use the store again as they often sell items that are good value and not available elsewhere.

I think this time they have got away with it. I suspect the person cashing up the till probably was higher up the chain of management. I really will be hot on anything like this happening again.

The problem is that...the usual way of buying in these stores is that you pay, are given a receipt and wait for your purchase and they give you the item at a collection point and your receipt is stamped.

This time I had taken the returned item and expected the refund to be done by the assistant at the collection point(they do have a till there)

She took the item back...altered my receipts, asked for 3p to make up the amount and put everything on the counter except the refund so the 3p was put in the till but the £30 was not taken out at the same time.

4 July 2010 at 00:26  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,I feel so angry about this and I think you need to take this further. Ask to speak to the manager and ask for the name of the area manager. Please tell them that you will put this in writing and mentioning that you will be in touch with your local trading standards officer will also do no harm.

8 July 2010 at 00:35  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Anonymous you are corect with everything that you say

It's interesting that the till was £20 out which they need not have told me but it does show errors were being made.

It doesn't help that they do sell items I need so they still have my business and if I do kick up a stink it would cause ill feeling.

I'll see it doesn't happen ever again.

Maybe I have left it too long now to get action.

9 July 2010 at 05:31  
Blogger Span Ows said...

The till was out by 20 quid so they KNOW something is amiss. Clearly a case of "note" misidentification, a twenty and a ten, but the very fcat that it is out eans they KNOW Gildy. you MUST pursue it or they will just forget you. Argos is a national chain with procedures in place, it isn't a single site Jones corner shop. do NOT just accept this.

P.S. welcome back!

22 July 2010 at 21:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home