My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, April 04, 2010

Decisions, Decisions...

My repairman is selling his PC, you might ask why(I have thought so too and and so has Mum who is not a computer expert)

Then again allowing for some really tiny scratches at the bottom of a flip down door, for a second hand(all but in name, it is a refurbished machine)Well, it is isn't, as it is only approx 6 months old...it offers so much and is quite a whizz bang, bells and whistles bit of kit...

It is a mini-tower(and he assures me it has enough room to add items and upgrade various parts)

Something similar with less specifications new in the shop down the road would cost me another £120.

It has 9 USB ports(4 in the front, 5 in the rear)

2 Digital connections(1 front, 1 in the rear)

Also 2 Firewire(?)connections(1 front, 1 in the rear)I have to admit I don't know the real name of these ports.

It's upgraded to professional Windows 7(it was originally using Vista)

I have no idea what graphics/sound card/motherboard it has but I do know that it has a Intel Core 2 E7400 Processor

4 GB of Memory

640 Hard Drive

DVD Burner with label flash

VGA - X4500 Integrated Intel GMA

Multi Card Reader

He's thrown in a Free view TV Gadget that fits into a USB port and you can if you have decent signal(I need a booster or new aerial on the roof)you can pick up a number of tv stations without using an internal TV card.

You can watch tv but also record tv onto Hard Drive and/or burn to DVD. It also pauses live tv if you have to stop watching for some reason and you can play it back from where you stopped it.

So for all the advice about buying a new one or a refurbished model I am so tempted and yet when I listen to my friends I am tempted to spend some extra cash and but another machine.

The other side is that if things keep improving and changing and if I get a year or two out of this one I'll probably be happy anyhow.

And a lot of what was in the PC that failed can be re-used in this machine(space permitting)or the old PC I still have and I know eventually the old PC will have to be replaced.

Then this one might become the second PC instead and I'll get a newer one to replace this one.

Why can't life be easy?

I also have 4 external Hard Drives(already)and an external DVD burner and if I include what my other PC has I have an internal DVD burner there and an internal hard drive.

It's been said that there is no point remaining on dial up either...

Especially, as prices are similar and Broadband though not as fast as it should be in the UK it is much faster, they are saying give up on dial up. If I do, Mum will be able to make calls whilst I am online, we seemingly can get a deal where you have unlimited phone calls(Mum only phones her sister on the town)I phone no one and we think we could save quite a lot of money over the year.

Then the Broadband is included in the deal too so I can either stop paying for access to the net and Mum can pay it all(she pays the phone bill anyhow)and she'd still save money or I can be decent and pay what I pay now for net access and that will mean I am paying no more but I could reduce what she pays for her phone still further. So we all benefit...the downside...I have to pay by direct debit and sign up/commit myself for 18 months and I always have that niggle that if something goes wrong financially or something happens to either of us can we still afford it?

Then again maybe we should live for now!

If we could put the money aside(and in advance)so it is there and not touch it maybe we could manage it.

I'll have to really think this out!

2 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

Go for it...although it sounds like there's much more than most people would ever use!

5 April 2010 at 18:32  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Whilst I can afford it I will...I just hope that I can always afford to be on the internet, If I was alone I know the income would drop and out goings rise and I would have to give up something else...

I suspect I would reduce how much heating I use and/or give up television.

6 April 2010 at 06:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home