My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Hello Hello I'm Back Again...

But for how long...

My main computer was taken away(again)9 days ago for major repairs.

It's even had my repairman confused. It's the same problem as before. I go online and it freezes or crashes within seconds. It might decide to the same as I write an entry here or on a forum. I may not be doing anything at all and it reboots even though it is not scheduled to switch off or on. And of course the dreaded blue screen of death apears often.

So the repairman has changed/checked cables, deep scanned the hard drive, taken out and replaced various parts like the modem, the graphics card, tv tuner card etc...and it's made no difference whatsoever. He's had the computer switched on and monitored and it's behaved the same for him.

The latest is that the motherboard seems the most likely culprit to have failed and the website that should allow for upgrades...doesn't offer one. So it's either try flashing it but that could kill the computer anyway(but if it's not working how will that matter?)

Then it's buy a new Motherboard or take all the parts out of the computer that are ok(its not that old)and my repair man may build me a new one customised.

So who knows what will be returned to me when all the work is complete but after all this work, expense and being without it for so long I am expecting it to be all singing and dancing. And to be something special.

I have been promised that it will have the newest Windows operating system installed which bypasses the Vista version that it had on it and was very new. Unfortunately, there is a change as to how Windows allows their software to be used and so though I have only had the computer perhaps for a year when you get a new mothervoard the operating system has to match the serial number of the computer so basically a new computer...it's a new version of the operating system so my repairman and its cheaper when its installed at the time of buying a new pc I may as well have the newest incarnation of Windows too.

This does mean I have a perfectly good version of Vista sitting their doing absolutely nothing.

At least my old pc of approx 4-5 years is still working, still using the XP Windows system. Perhaps though that computer is simpler, it was actually better. And it was built for me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

Judging by the next post things must be okay now Gildy.

The PC I use is now 6 years old, runs on XP and has recently had a new motherboard. Other than that no problems (touch wood)

16 March 2010 at 18:43  
Blogger Span Ows said...

I still use XP too...I just have to try to remember when I upgrade things (as the laptop came with Vista installed)

I'm not as patient as you two seem to be, when I had a motherboard problem I got a new laptop!

17 March 2010 at 03:11  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

At this rate it's either a new motherboard or a new computer built specially for me.

We're now talking of approx a fortnight so it must be really sick.

When it comes back I hope iit's as good or even better than what I had. I am told most Motherboards last years but certain one's can fail in months...the same is true of hard drives...

My repairman has certain makes that he swears by and others he tries to avoid.

17 March 2010 at 15:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home