My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Disillusioned...

I'm not finished with my radio rant, just deciding what to write next as we have a lot happening regarding anniversaries and events to remember the "Pirates" of the 1960's/1970's and their part in where broadcasting has reached in the UK today and the 40th anniversary of the main 4 BBC radio networks(though that has expended with digital radio in the last few years...)

But briefly I return to...Politics.

It was only a few entries ago I mentioned that twice this area has been pushed into accepting that a large council should be introduced to serve a wider area and twice there has been a postal vote asking whether the population wants the change and a straight forward Yes or No ballot paper.

Overwhelmingly the population has said no. Twice. So tonight as I look through the teletext pages on my television I see that our Government is to introduce nine new such councils UK wide and...you've guessed it, we are included and they will be up and running in 2009.

So you could say why were any of us asked our opinion and what was the point. So as far as I can see the only hope would be a change in Government before such changes can be introduced but as the groundwork will probably be passed before the next election is called, I doubt that the decision can be reversed.

Its said it will give the local population a say in what happens, not if they are ignored as they seem to have been this time...

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew it! You can't keep away from the subject even though I was looking forward to part 3 of your next instalment on pirate radio, which I have enjoyed.

We knew that was going to happen I did say if they wanted something so badly they would just go ahead and do it anyway which it seems like they are doing. What gets up my craw and probably everybody elses is that the amount of money that they waste on doing these postal votes etc - so totally pointless if they are not going to take heed in what has been said!

Politicians - cannot trust them an inch!

Have a good day now and I look forward to your next blog :-D
Lxxx

26 July 2007 at 07:12  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

I do remember at PMQ's in Parliament this was brought up and someone said as the result had come out this way, would you drop this idea at last.

Obviously, there was no intention, remarkably I have not seen it mentioned in the local press or mentioned on the local news(I could've missed it of course)which surprises me a little.

27 July 2007 at 00:12  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Hi Gildy, sorry not to have answered what I see are various Radio posts. Really I was just at the right age to catch all that in the 70's and remember well most of teh Radio 1 and Capitol radio 'in' DJ's cut their teeth out at sea on the pirate radio broadcasting ships....anyway...politicians...

No does not mean no, surely if we know anything about most politicians is that are slime-ball, hypoctite arseholes (toned that down a bit, didn't want to soil your blog)...remember the EU referenda when teh French and Danish (or Dutch?) voted no...the very next day the politicians were saying well a no does not mean no (!!!!!aggghhh!!!)

27 July 2007 at 09:50  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Span,
Of course you are correct in what you say. The European Union is not as I think it should be and when I saw the few referendums that were held going the opposite way to how the politicians tried to skew them, I was happy to see people saying "Hold on a minute" "Don't take it as read that we feel as you say that we should"

Of course you cannot hold votes on everything and the public can strange but on these kind of issues they are too important.

But if our own Government can ignore results after consulting the public and they have a definate result that is clear how the people feel to carry on regardless is unacceptable.

The dilemma is that this shows that our own leaders can be as devious as those that we fear in Europe.

Its a difficult one to call.

27 July 2007 at 12:05  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

As for the radio of the time, I'm just about able to remember the Home Service and The Light Programme(Oh Dear)Radio Luxembourg, Radio 270(I think was as close as I came to Pirate Radio in the North East)I do now wonder if that was because my radio receiver was poor or other famous stations like Caroline were not available here in the North East of England. And memories fade(I was very young after all)

And in 1974 our introduction to commercial radio was Metro Radio(we were on the border of their offical reception)and then a few years later it was Radio Tees.

Only a few of those who broadcast on those stations seem to still be in the business in front of the mike...Alex Lester(Ex Tees)now at BBC Radio 2 and James Whale(Ex Metro)at Talk Sport, they are the only one's to come readily to mind.

But many Pirates, BBC and Capital Radio Jocks do still seem to be around and have longevity.

27 July 2007 at 12:25  
Blogger Span Ows said...

I remember radio Luxembourg...so your not alone! :-)

Radio Caroline was the most famous pirate station...at least in my yooff. Reception came and went but was listenable

28 July 2007 at 00:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Span, as Gildy will tell you I WAS the one to bring up Radio Luxembourg first so Gildy had to mention it again and anyway what has this all got to do with politics. Pirate radio and radio Luxembourg are far more interesting anyway.

28 July 2007 at 05:02  
Blogger Span Ows said...

...I thought it more interesting than politicians...but not more interesting than politics! :-)

29 July 2007 at 20:55  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Briefly this change to one council will have big implications which we've yet to fully appreciate. What happens to the councillors.

Will we still have local officials per town or will there be fewer based in locations further away. One of my friends on here is fearful of his job and finding another.

The present councils have been running some forums using and asking local people for more of their views and opinions to improve the service we receive, if this is going to happen...why bother?

I wonder on a practical side if my Council tax and my renting of property from the new council will be better for me or actually cause problems?

And lets not forget the problems of the redevelopment of the town centre that's been held up. Why would the present council bother about that if within 2-3 years another is taking over?

There will be much more to think of. From what I understand this is to happen across the whole of England(I don't know about Wales and N. Ireland)Scotland is different I believe. We'll be run by 9 councils in total.

What happens to the present councillors that were elected as in theory the council they represent at present will be disolved. So I guess their position will be lost too.

3 August 2007 at 00:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home