My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, December 31, 2006

As We Come To The End Of 2006...

I wish all of my readers and friends a peaceful, healthy and prosperous New Year. Some very big stories of immense importance have happened throughout the year and a big one that will repercussions for a long time to come has happened in the last day or two.

Closer to home and not really important in the great scheme of things I have two or three things that I have noticed regarding the media.

On a radio programme where music artist was interviewing the veteran music producer and arranger Quincy Jones earlier today QJ said that he can see the time coming where music will be given away...for free.

Another person who works in the media and has hosted a top radio programme for years on Capital Radio for many years admitted on his Christmas special on the BBC to buying a cd and he said that he had forgotten how expensive it is to buy a CD(I assume because they are given to radio people for free)No wonder so many radio people have such a fantastic cd collection. Its a funny thing but usually those who are the most financially sound seem to have more and more freebies thrown at them and those who find items expensive to purchase have to struggle. No wonder the sites that offered file swopping were so popular. A message to the entertainment industry...reduce your prices, you'll sell more and profits will rise in real terms.

And yes, almost echoing a previous entry of mine when I mentioned the UK has chosen the wrong format for digital radio an article appeared in the Daily Telegraph on December 30th not mentioning that side of things but that its commercial radio in the UK heading the request that AM broadcasting ceases to be and yet the new system could offer digital broadcasting on AM and give better quality and allow the spectrum to be reused.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Happy New Year!!!!!

And thanks for being a trooper.

1 January 2007 at 04:51  
Blogger The Stoat said...

Happy New Year!

When I was in radio about 6 years ago there were certainly more CDs available than I care to name. Once they were burned into the playout system and backed up, the CD went begging, so presenters got first shout. I also recall that we used to be sent three or four copies of the same album by the promoters so there were always freebies going spare.

Not sure what goes on now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it still goes on...

2 January 2007 at 20:54  
Blogger ja said...

Gildy, Happy New Year :)

2 January 2007 at 21:47  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you Gildy.

4 January 2007 at 01:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home