My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Newton News

Newton News is a free newspaper usually full of stories featuring what the mayor gets up to, the scouts and various organisations but its main purpose is as a small publication to place advertisements. It usually runs to 4 pages.

It used to be known as The Newtonian and is published by a family business that does anything you can think from printing leaflets to personal stationery and much more. It continues over the years to branch out into other areas such as computers and even a café.

I do not want to take credit for the following entry in my blog so I give credit to the company Newton Press and their publication Newton News and so if you wish to read more on this subject and other things that happen in this town, I direct you via the link to a version of it on line.

Newton News

I am reducing what the article says and at the time of writing this, it has yet to appear in the on line version.

If I had broadband and was computer savvy having given credit to the original author I would've probably let you read the extract direct by copying it here. But as that is not possible, I'll pick out the important pieces.

My reason for mentioning this article is that it ties in with my own blog entry of a few weeks ago and the state the town centre finds itself.

According to the front page article...the demolition that I mentioned scheduled for July shows no sign of happening but then the paper goes onto report rumours as to why things are dragging. Staff of a recently closed shop told of existing shop owners coming to the end of their lease are being asked to sign up for new 25 year agreements.

The paper also says that anyone who signs a lease is legally obliged to pay the rent for the whole of that period. Only reassigning the lease to another party gives them the chance to stop paying.

The new party has to be acceptable to the Landlords and if the new party defaults the onus falls on the original lessee.

The paper suggests that short term leases are available to new people to have go but still tries to keep existing shopkeepers under the old agreements.

The paper suggests alternative ideas that may be acceptable to both Landlord and prospective private retailers. Such as low rents and easy terms so they can hopefully become established.

Another idea is rental based on a percentage of shop takings.

On behalf of the Landlords on page two there is a reply from the Town Centre Manager...

Its reported that he said:There is no disagreement over the price of demolished property and that was agreed a long time ago. That basically a commitment to complete Phase 2 is being sought.
That the 25 year lease terms is untrue. Ten years is the maximum and shorter terms are being agreed.

That the latest shop to close did not enter into any negotiation for a new lease.
I have not put any of my own inference on the story for either side.

Avoiding mentioning rumours. Once the article is added to the site you can read it for yourself.

Now on the other hand as I passed the building I showed a picture of in a previous entry on here...I noticed that the school dentist who had space in the health centre for I would think 30 years plus, has moved to Darlington and I will be interested to see whether having made the move to a new location, it ever returns after all the redevelopment has taken place. It must cost quite a lot of money to relocate and set up a new practise.

1 Comments:

Blogger Span Ows said...

I've just voted that parking should be 50p per hour...it appears I'm in a minority!

P.S. The "big story today" (righthand sidebar) isn't filled - I suggest a Gildy blog weekly entry.

13 August 2006 at 08:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home