My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

There is superstition...The writings on the wall...

Just a thought, nothing major. Who is superstitious out there? You might be if you follow the black arts and I am sure that there are more things in heaven and hell than we can comprehend. Things do happen that are unexplainable to the Human mind. We ask, we probe whereas an animal of a lower level order(as far as we know)just accepts its world. Maybe everything can be explained but we are not intelligent enough.

Are there any new superstitions?

Do they all come from out of our dark and distant past? Due to those in charge keeping the masses in order by the use of fear? Although some superstitions are plain crazy, many are just based on common sense and fact. The likelihood that if you do that...this will happen.

I've walked under ladders, I've spilt salt etc etc...All it comes down to is weighing up the situation whether the painter or window cleaner is actually up the ladder and you'll get a bucket of something dropped on you from a great height. And I do not ever remember throwing salt over my shoulder.

Some superstitions are possibly more like proverbs, just telling you to be careful.

And they can be different depending on which country you live...I have always thought from what I know of the following example that it is lucky if a black cat crosses your path but in America when this is referred to, they say the opposite is true. So how does that work? ;-) And which is correct?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gildy, my one superstition is I never say " I think England are going to win " ! (even then they seldom do ! )

2 July 2006 at 14:28  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Hello Gildy - has this post been here since Sunday? I ask because I'm sure I've popped in a few times since (Wednesdayish)then and not seen it. Never mind...

The black cat is definitely a funny one and both apply, as you say. I'm not sure which (witch!)is correct. :-)

I'm a magpie counter, don't put new shoes on the table and all sorts of things...oooooo...spooky.

7 July 2006 at 13:48  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Hi Span,
Its been there since last weekend...I thought I should put something up to keep the blog going.

I claim not to be superstitious but who hasn't said "Touch Wood" but is it now said as an expression rather than originally meant. I suppose it depends if you actually touch some wood when saying it.

I guess we are straying into(and I'm sure that you know all about this working in different countries) the problem about hand gestures meaning something different depending on where you are.

I may do a circle with my thumb and forefinger meaning "OK" or "That's great!" Another place that could get me into a lot of trouble. Even the thumbs up sign I understand can be a problem.

I seem to remember Desmond Morris wrote a book about this subject many years ago.

8 July 2006 at 20:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home