My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Happy Christmas!

Lets call it what it is and without going over the top put Christ back into Christmas. Its all very well wishing seasons greetings and happy holidays but these days it appears that are many companies, broadcasters, government departments frightened to use such terms for fearing of upsetting other sections of society. Often I am not sure that other sections are so worried or liable to be upset and by taking such a stand actually creates more of a problem than there would be if those being politically correct would avoid being...politically correct as quite often those they feel need their help don't and would rather they just didn't bother.

Often people from other sections of society would rather join in and take the best bits.

So whatever creed, colour or race you belong, whether you believe, don't believe or would like to lets use this time of year to wish peace, health and happiness to you all, such principles cannot be a bad thing.

It may seem sugary but I still like to believe and think of many of the traditions I grew up with. I do miss many of the programmes that would once of been made for Television or Radio. Many broadcasters are afraid to make such programmes today, as much due to the reasons alluded to earlier. Yet, in many families with access to digital channels, they will be watching these very programmes produced years ago. I know that many of the programmes with a Christmas feel as heard on American and British Radio in the 40's and 50's definitely would not be allowed these days. I highlight Christmas programmes featuring my namesake who certainly did not hide the religious message that they were promoting and usually ending with a person almost sermon like message from the President of the company sponsoring the programme.

I am sure someone somewhere is still writing Christmas songs but most have to be 50+ years old but even today's artists still like to bring out their own versions of these standards.

I have so many good friends on the net my fear is that I will miss out someone or am unable to keep up with everyone as I should. So forgive me. I would love to leave more messages and comments than I do but there are only so many hours in a day.

I have been missing the last few days not e-mailing as I should, blogging and message boarding but blame that on trying to get ahead on sorting out Christmas and computer wise a few problems in that I found myself unable to upgrade my virus protection software and only being back in some kind of safe mode due to two friends Dazed Penguin and JA who tried to fix the problem(and still are)but also gave me some alternative virus programs that did download so giving me safety over the Christmas period and beyond, if I decide to leave my original software that I have used for years. Thanks guys!

I'm no kill joy but our neighbours seem to have acquired what sounds like a karaoke machine and a number of times this past week late at night suddenly we have had loud music coming through the walls and amplified singing(I use the term loosely)Tonight's performance started at 1am and it can be heard upstairs but in the lounge it was bad, at least we had retired to bed. Its Christmas so I can allow some fun(I'm no Scrooge)

I am still up doing some work on here and listening to some radio shows that I have missed earlier in the day.

This may seem strange and could be if the UK starts to broadcast subscription radio delivered by satellite but the BBC have started to broadcast an American programme hosted by Bob Dylan which contains such a variety of musical styles. For a music programme it is from this first listening what radio should be...and I look forward to more in the series. BBC Radio could do such programmes themselves but most of its daytime output is similar to commercial radio except the BBC is commercial free.

Its also something that commercial radio over here could've been doing years ago to make themselves different to the BBC. Bob's style is interesting and the voice does sound as though its had plenty of Bourbon and Cigarette smoke doing its stuff over the years but it all adds to his character. Bob isn't judging the material with the mind of a programme controller, its being judged on quality or relevance to the theme chosen for that particular programme and his choice is wide and not confined to the style Dylan's own music has followed across the years. Of which I admit my knowledge probably could be written on the back of a postage stamp. I know most of the commercially popular material such as Lay Lady Lay and the protest songs of the 60's.

Its available at BBC Radio 2 but only for so long online but in the new year I understand one show per week will be carried on BBC6 Music, I assume this week of programmes is to whet the appetite.

Away from the media:It does not really go with the previous subjects...

I want to blame the bad weather for the lack of birds to be seen. And its certainly been cold but usually, as the weather deteriorates feathered visitors increase taking water and food put out for them. This past week an event has happened that is unusual.

I rarely see a dead bird in my garden and usually in the past it has been the remains of a bird taken by a sparrow hawk. But in two different areas on Monday and today I have found two doves and they have been away from food and I have been ready to expect them mutilated having been the meal of a bird of prey but so far neither had any sign of being attacked so its unusual. So I hope its an exception and due to natural causes and nothing to be worried about. The doves have been one of the few varieties that have remained quite constant in visiting over the last few months.

So I'll just have to watch how things turn out.

A lovely site where you can read and listen to programmes about nature is the Living World normally available at the too early transmission time of 6.35am on a Sunday morning.

And this site from the BBC offering around 2,000 bird songs

So to happier things once again I wish you all peace, health and happiness at this special time and for the year ahead. I suspect the next few days will be quite quiet unless I manage to update some older entries written in my blog which might not be a bad idea.

10 Comments:

Blogger Gavin Corder said...

Have a wonderful Christmas Gildy, thanks for your vigilence and enthusiasm for the MB. Happy posting in 2007.

Almost all our spammers have their keyboards set to Albanian!

24 December 2006 at 10:47  
Blogger ja said...

Have a great Christmas Gildy, I hope you get some peace amongst the racket your next door neighbour's are making.

I'm pleased that you've got some antivirus protection in the meantime, until the AVG issue can be fixed. Best wishes!

Albanian spammers, leave us alone.. ;)

24 December 2006 at 14:29  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

It seems ok that Avast program I may stick with it! Thanks.

I'm having difficulty keeping up with everyone and making certain that I wish Christmas greetings to everyone and answer all that is coming my way.

You may like to know that North East Girl(Yes, I know her real itentity)I'm keeping it safe, is well but with work and the demise of the BBC boards that kept everyone in one place it is difficult to get together as often as we did.

I have found a great place to share pc problems and get advice but finding the time to frequent the place more often that's the problem.

Its rare not to get an answer and its free. It is run by the magazine Webuser. Maybe I'll see you there ;-)

The singing was still happening at 3am where we were being entertained(i'm being sarcastic)with the Grease film's song "You're the one that I want" What next :-)

24 December 2006 at 16:04  
Blogger Name Witheld said...

Merry Christmas, Gildy, to you and yours.

24 December 2006 at 16:18  
Blogger Gavin Corder said...

"You're the one that I want"

Ooh ooh ooh!

24 December 2006 at 19:03  
Blogger Curmy said...

Happy Christmas Gildy

24 December 2006 at 19:51  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

Gavin,
I'm sure you could do a better rendition of the song ;-) Honestly, I don't mind someone enjoying themselves but when its been quiet all evening and then suddenly bam, she is certainly no Olivia Newton John, if she had been I probably wouldn't mind so much.

24 December 2006 at 20:06  
Blogger Jeff Kallman said...

Gildy---It could have been worse. They could have been serenading you with the greatest hits of The Brady Bunch. To which, come to think of it, Albanian spammers ought to be sentenced. (Oops---can't do it, where I come from there's still such a thing as the Eighth Amendment!) Have a wonderful Christmas!---Jeff

24 December 2006 at 20:42  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

The Brady Bunch...now, I really would have problems if they were the choice to sing a long with ;-) Tthey did have some kind of musical spinoff career wise didn't they? The UK seemed to miss out on that pleasure and I suspect the Partridge Family were considerably more popular here.

25 December 2006 at 00:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Christmas (well, I hope it was) and a great 2007.

27 December 2006 at 01:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home