My Photo
Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Perhaps you'll learn more about me as you read my blog. For anyone who translates my blog using the translator facility, don't forget if you wish to read the comments in your own language to click on the title of the post down the left hand side otherwise they will remain in english. Also I assume that the translation is accurate but I don't know, so please allow for errors.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Gildersleeve's Reputation Spreads Just A Little Bit...

It does kind of follow on from the previous entry about radio. I have dipped my toe into having a few e-mails read out on Steve Allen's show on LBC FM and whilst regulars do write in often and their contributions are read out I try to limit my contributions so that I cannot be said to hog the programme.

It is available on line streamed as is most of LBC's output in both this country and around the world but they also have some kind of service where all shows are available to download to an mp3 player or a computer and all commercials etc...are removed so all you hear is the programme. I believe it costs something like £10 per 6 months but during that time you can have as much as you like.

Well, it would appear that some comments made by me on the BBC Radio 5 message board had been spotted by one of Steve's regular listeners Jane and she told him that The Great Gildersleeve had mentioned his programme and that I was going to buy a DAB radio instead of listening to some of Radio 5's output, the impression was that I was criticising Simon Mayo's afternoon show and yes, that was correct to some extent in that a topic had come around again having already been covered extensively and it will again and again for the next 6 years or so regarding who will benefit from the Olympics happening in London in 2012.

But the main reason for this post was that there is a presenter called Stephen Nolan who keeps winning the Sony Radio Awards(a radio industry accolade)but whereas some presenters divide listeners and you can find people for or against someone the overall response on both Radio 5's message board and Radio Ulster(he works on both stations for now)but it looks as though he'll eventually be a fixture on the National UK network is that many feel his style is not suitable for these stations. Much worse has been said about his presentation over on the BBC Radio 5 Station board< he may see it as a compliment but if anyone over here has seen Trisha or Jeremy Kyle's television programmes, you have a good idea how his radio show is.

It may done tongue in cheek and listeners may be taking him too seriously but he still has a lot to learn to be classed as good as some of the greats that have paved the way for his career. It may've done to get a reaction but telling your listeners to get stuffed is not a way to gain friends. Sometimes, you switch on the radio forgetting its set to Radio 5 and every programme seems a repeat of a previous week's style and the topics chosen. You can almost bet that their will a sex story with a sleaze angle, something perhaps about bullying or rather appropriately a discussion about obesity which nearly always makes a reference to himself. Its not that I am a prude and I am sure that some presenters could manage to talk on any subject and listeners could either be interested or even accept it on a light hearted level but the skills are lacking. Many of us now try and find something else to do.

Even articles in the newspapers always talk about his weight problems.

This is the latest story to be published Stephen NolanIf you can access Radio 5 or Radio Ulster on line via satellite, Listen Again or the Live Stream on line you can make your own mind up. What I actually said was that I was thinking that as Nolan is going to fill in on the morning programmme whilst the regular presenter takes a two week break...I would prefer to play back a time shifted Steve Allen programme.

Luckily through time shifting I would've heard Steve read out this about my post on the message board but someone reading the message board and very alert informed me that I was mentioned and even told me whereabouts so I could find it.

Thank you Llucia. As I said earlier today, as I only use my first name on Steve's show when I send in an e-mail, unless he reads the boards himself or is told or strays over here, he'll not know that TGG and I are one and the same.
LBC FM has replaced a news station that was on Digital Radio and from September 1st will be available in or around...Hartlepool, Darlington, Middlesbrough, Redcar, South Shields, Houghton Le Spring, Northallerton, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Stockton On Tees, Sunderland, Chester Le Street, Scunthorpe, Leeds, Grimsby, Doncaster, York, Barnsley, Selby, Rottherham, Sheffield, Birmingham, Wallsall, Wolverhampton, Shrewsbury, Coventry, Dudley, West Bromwich, Sutton Coalfield, Stafford, Sandwell, Cardiff, Bristol, Vale of Glamorgan, Newport, Bridge End, Bath, Kingsworth, Avon Mouth, Chippenham, Milbury Heath, Blackpool, Preston, Lancaster, Manchester, South Port, Sale, Wigan, Bolton, Liverpool, Chester and Birkenhead.

So this will remind me of the days when we used to have Radio 5 and Talk Radio, I was torn as to which to listen to. I would guess that the original Talk Radio disappeared approx 8 years ago as it started to change when I first took ill and one by one regular presenters resigned or were finished because they did not like the change of format, management etc...or the new boss decided that they did not fit the image.

Though LBC has had a few changes of management in various guises many of Talk Radio's ex presenters have passed through its doors and some are there now. In fact Many of LBC's presenters went to Talk radio and when it changed, many were taken back by LBC making it sound like Talk Sport but whereas Talk Radio had been available nationwide, this version was only available in the London area.

Thanks to LBC coming onto Satellite, the net and now DAB radio it gets a national audience. In time I feel what will happen is that, the pure London feed will remain on satellite but DAB will have opt outs where news with a more local feel will be added. In time the larger areas of the country may even opt out for some local speech/phone-ins and presenters but perhaps from Midnight-7am for example it will take the London feed again.

Test transmissions are happening already but officially September 1st is LBC Day! Approx 33 years since it was originally launched. It can only be a matter of time before Scotland, N. Ireland and The South England gets it via DAB.

LBC 97.3

Oh, and finally, the other week I was reading my copy of Webuser(a great magazine about the internet)and a question that I asked on their forum page on the net was there in print so yet another surprise. Whatever next?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't get big headed Gildy, and stop rubbing it in that you'll be able to hear Steve Allen !

24 August 2006 at 21:24  
Blogger The Great Gildersleeve said...

They've got to pull the stops out now and get heard on the South coast, I think its as important as any other place nationwide...who would have thought that its because of DAB stations in Europe and also other frequencies already in use in Southern Ireland etc... that means all that has to be sorted before you can listen...its not fair...

I'll not forget you when I'm famous ;-)

24 August 2006 at 23:00  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Gildy you go for it! The old saying "if you've got it, flaunt it" is ever true!

By the way, when they read out your name on the radio do they really just say 'this is an e-mail from The Great'...;-)

P.S. I didn't get your point re Steve Nolan...you din't finish it! (I think)...but the impression I get is that everyone hates him! (I've never heard him myself so can't comment.

P.P.S. As Gildy says, this new found fame has prevented you from visiting my blog has it?...

24 August 2006 at 23:37  
Blogger Span Ows said...

Bugger...in my post post script I meant "as curmy says"...

24 August 2006 at 23:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wrong place...
Sorry Gildy, my first comment posting shld have appeared here in "Gildy's rep." instead of being at the foot of the page under 4th comment of "Is it an age thing?"
Llucia

27 August 2006 at 15:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home